Rubberneckers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't it about time this was treated as an offence and prosecutions undertaken!?

This morning I was caught in a tailback from J2 to J5 on the M40 due to an accident on the opposite carriageway! There was no reason for our carriageway to have been delayed but the nobs just have to stop and look don't they! 40 mins late for work.

Sponsored Links
dg123 said:
Isn't it about time this was treated as an offence and prosecutions undertaken!?

This morning I was caught in a tailback from J2 to J5 on the M40 due to an accident on the opposite carriageway! There was no reason for our carriageway to have been delayed but the nobs just have to stop and look don't they! 40 mins late for work.

Did you keep your eyes straight ahead at all times

pickles said:
dg123 said:

What, so that I would be unaware of traffic to the side of me and that approaching from behind??

dg123 said:

agree with that, hard to enforce tho bit like moblie phone users :evil:

Sponsored Links
dg123 said:
pickles said:
dg123 said:

What, so that I would be unaware of traffic to the side of me and that approaching from behind??

Wern't you even a little bit curious.

I always slow down a bit when i see accidents because you often can't be sure from a distance exactly where they are and whether they have crossed the carriageway, particularily at night. I was on the M25 on Sunday in ****ing rain after dark and saw loads of flashing blue lights. It looked like a bloodbath but when I got up to it it was one van and two blokes in hi vis jackets moving 2 traffic cones about

pickles said:
dg123 said:
pickles said:
dg123 said:

Wern't you even a little bit curious.

I always slow down a bit when i see accidents because you often can't be sure from a distance exactly where they are and whether they have crossed the carriageway, particularily at night. I was on the M25 on Sunday in p******g rain after dark and saw loads of flashing blue lights. It looked like a bloodbath but when I got up to it it was one van and two blokes in hi vis jackets moving 2 traffic cones about

On this section of motorway both carriageways can bee seen clearly for over a mile. It was clear that there was no obstruction, other than the 'ghouls', as someone as put it, ogling the scene and slowing to walking pace on our carriageway. All they are doing is adding to the problem.

In the future, policemen and ambulance workers should wear helmet cams that can stream live video from a crash to your car. This can then be projected onto a head-up display on your windscreen, thus appeasing the inner ghoul and removing the rubbernecking problem. Perfick...!!

Or a 6' fence down the middle - Either works.....

They actually have started to put these 6ft fences down some parts of M Ways where there are frequent accidents. Good idea too if you ask me. I suppose it's human nature to want to look but doesn't do anyone any favours. Least of all the emergency services.

Why are accidents fascinating, I always want to look but never want anyone to be hurt, i've worked in a mortuary so I know what happens but i'm still drawn to look and have to fight the tempatation because it is ghoulish to do it

Same reason the best You've Been Framed bits involve someone standing on a rake or being punched in the knackers by a kid, I guess......

I suspect its an inbred human instinct to be interested in accidents, humans are social animals and (mostly) inclined to want to help someone who's been hurt. Nowadays there's usually an ambulance or polis so you aren't needed, but the instinct remains.

Ghoul is a bit of an unkind word for it.

Sponsored Links
Back