Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some members here were so {stupid|juvenile|pathetic|vindictive|<your choice>} that they registered multiple IDs just so that they could give posts like this, for example, (quoted in its entirety): .... multiple thumbs down.
I never objected to getting a thumbs down when I had, for example, called someone a t**t. But in post after post after post I got multiple thumbs down when I had said nothing contentious at all. I got multiple thumbs down for saying exactly the same things (without using any terms that anybody could object to) as other people who got thanked for saying them.
How many people in this forum other than yourself suffered similarly at the hands of the "thumbs down" system?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But in post after post after post I got multiple thumbs down when I had said nothing contentious at all. I got multiple thumbs down for saying exactly the same things (without using any terms that anybody could object to) as other people who got thanked for saying them.

We even had people going back over posts I'd made before the introduction of the facility and voting them down.

Hint, hint.

But in post after post after post I got multiple thumbs down when I had said nothing contentious at all. I got multiple thumbs down for saying exactly the same things (without using any terms that anybody could object to) as other people who got thanked for saying them.

We even had people going back over posts I'd made before the introduction of the facility and voting them down.

Hint, hint.

Some members here were so {stupid|juvenile|pathetic|vindictive|<your choice>} that they registered multiple IDs just so that they could give posts like this, for example, (quoted in its entirety): .... multiple thumbs down.
I never objected to getting a thumbs down when I had, for example, called someone a t**t. But in post after post after post I got multiple thumbs down when I had said nothing contentious at all. I got multiple thumbs down for saying exactly the same things (without using any terms that anybody could object to) as other people who got thanked for saying them.
How many people in this forum other than yourself suffered similarly at the hands of the "thumbs down" system?

Kind Regards, John

Hint. hint.
---

The most bizarre point of your ongoing rant (ongoing as in "for years", not just on this thread) is that you're convinced you're a victim in all this - you're not; it's you that brings this upon yourself.

To some extent I can understand B A S's point of view. Frustration at not being able to get through to DIYers who cannot see that they lack essential knowledge. In many cases they are trying to achieve something at minimum cost because they cannot afford to pay for a tradesman so are forced into using DIY methods.

It happens to me. I was recently asked if a 7 Kw pottery kiln could be used in a cottage that is about 200 yards from the highway. A glance at the supply system gave the answer as a definite NO. A voltage drop of nearly 5 volts when a 1 Kw kettle was switched on in the cottage was more convincing but even then the person tried to find some way to use the kiln. I know he is short of cash and has done a lot of reasonably good DIY but he cannot accept that what he wants is not possible as a DIY project.

I could keep hounding him but it won't do any good. So I make the point clearly and concisely, repeat the demonstration with the kettle to support the point and then I walk away and let him do what he wants.

The supply has a meter in a wooden shed close to the entrance, then 7/036 ( or is it 7/029 ) up a pole, then about 100 yards of open wire strung along poles, 7/036 down the last pole to another wooden shed. Through a totally rusted switch fuse in that shed and then the last 100 yards is by SWA depth unknown.

Sponsored Links
OK, skotl, Johnmelad, JohnW2.

Please explain exactly how it was reasonable, logical, intelligent behaviour for people to vote down posts like the one I quoted above.

Please explain exactly how it was reasonable, logical, intelligent behaviour for people to vote down posts which they hadn't even read because they thought it was a funny thing to do.

Please explain exactly how it was reasonable, logical, intelligent behaviour for people to create multiple IDs so that they could increase the number of thumbs-down they could give, and to start going over old posts to do the same?

You say that I bring that sort of behaviour on myself - I want you to put forward a reasoned and logical explanation which shows why that sort of behaviour is justified, and is the proper thing to do.

To some extent I can understand B A S's point of view. Frustration at not being able to get through to DIYers who cannot see that they lack essential knowledge.
I think that many/most of us not only understand but also share and sympathise with BAS's frustrations and point of view. This issue is about how one responds to that frustration (in a manner least likely to be counter-productive) and, as you go on to say, when one should 'give up'.

Kind Regards, John

IHNI
Your memory is not that bad. I'm sure that you were seeing the posts in this forum on most/all days during that period, and if others were receiving large numbers of multiple, unjustified and retrospective "thumbs downs", in the manner you say happened to yourself, you would have been very aware of it at the time, and would remember. I therefore can but presume that there were no others who had experiences anything like yours.

Kind Regards, John

OK, skotl, Johnmelad, JohnW2. ... Please explain exactly how it was reasonable, logical, intelligent behaviour for people to vote down posts like the one I quoted above.
It probably wasn't - but if it only happened to you, at least in terms of degree, then there is obviously a different important question to be asked, or at least 'pondered'.

Kind Regards, John

Apologies - I took that to mean the entire site, and I don't see all of the posts on that on any basis, let alone daily.

My memory isn't perfect, but I don't recall it happening to others on the Electrics Forum.

But so what?

It probably wasn't - but if it only happened to you, at least in terms of degree, then there is obviously a different important question to be asked, or at least 'pondered'.
Please tell me what that question is.

My memory isn't perfect, but I don't recall it happening to others on the Electrics Forum. But so what?
Please tell me what that question is.
"Why?"

(even if it it were not "reasonable, logical, intelligent behaviour", there has to be a reason why it only happened to you)

Kind Regards, John

You actually need to ask yourself a number of questions.
And you actually need to answer the questions I asked you above.
IMO, not really. It's not a question of whether it was "reasonable, logical, intelligent behaviour" on the part of others that resulted in what happened to you - it may not have been any of those things. However, the question remains as to why (in this forum) it only happened to you, even if it was unreasonable, illogical and unintelligent. That's what you need to ponder.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back