Ryobi one+ cordless

If anyone else is thinking about buying these please go check out Costco when you're comparing prices. They do quite a big set for £200.

Sponsored Links
Finally got my grinder, plane, router and small radio delivered from the US and I have not used them properly yet, but they look good, and I'm sure will prove useful.

And for the downer . . . got stung for VAT and now by the looks of things, Ryobi have realesed these in the UK now :evil: Cost me about £20 more in the end, so not that bad

i noticed a number of weeks ago that Ryobi had updated there web page with a number of new products but didn't have the heart to tell you !.

post up what you think of the new tools when you've tried them woody.
i've seen a few of the new tools for sale on ebay uk. When you say router, do you mean spiral saw or is there actually a router available ?.

Rubberball said:
i noticed a number of weeks ago that Ryobi had updated there web page with a number of new products but didn't have the heart to tell you

In that case, I'm not going to tell you. And you owe me £20. :p

The router is called a 'laminate trimmer'. It takes router bits and is a bit basic, but a base plate and handles are available as an accessory to make it handle like a normal router

I've only used the radio at the moment, and that gives some good loud sound. The others are poised in the box ready to pounce when the opportunity comes

Sponsored Links
Like woody I took advantage of the US prices. I had to go to the US on business in November so took a second empty suitcase and visited home depot - came home with a 7 piece kit for £129 (I needed to buy the uk charger from Axminster for £20). Just looking on the home depot site now they have the combo2 kit for $159 = approx £85 and the 18v chainsaw for $60 . If you travel that can be imported free as its below the £145 personal allowance :). I spent a total of £220, so declared and it cost me £14 in tax and duty - so still worth doing.

The most useful tools so far have been:
- the cordless polisher (halfords 12v one takes the same cloths so spares are cheap at £1-99)
- the impact driver (great for wheel nuts and general car stuff once the torque has been broken). I have also tested the tool by putting a 3" screw into wood without a pilot hole - after the first inch the impact action kicks in and home it goes. Ebay sell these
- the torch - thought it would be a gimmick but its bright, stable and adjustable.

Dave

I've got a couple of pieces of the ryobi one stuff.(2speed hammer drill & jig saw) and your right about the battery capacity. However they do an in car charger, thats got me out of the mire on more than one occasion. :oops: Got mine from our local shop-Savoy Timber-they do have a web site, but as a newbie I dont want to post links, cos I dont know if thats allowed here. ( the Savoy site is pretty c**p anyway, but it does have contact info) :)
Apart from the limited power of the batterys, I'd say they are ok unless you are a real power user.
Cheers

For anyone interested, i used the circular saw to cut some 11mm OSB, and on a full battery (charged discharged a few times so should be full) and a sharp blade it did 11 x 1200mm cuts before discharging.

Oh, and it cuts 47mm timber but don't go all the way through 50mm timber :rolleyes:

So have you used the router/trimmer yet? My pal's in the US for a few weeks, it's only $50 at home depot. Would it be useful for routing out for door hinges for example, or edge profiles in mdf?

I've tried it but not 'used' it.

It spins fast and cuts clean (well with a new bit it does), but to use it as a plunge router, you will need the 'woodworking base' which gives it handles and a spring for pushing down like a normal router.

As it is, it has a plastic plate which is the collar around the machine. You can freely press it up and down within this and it has a clip to tighten at a preset depth, but it wont return up automatically as a router would, as it has no spring mechanism.

So, thinking about it, it will do plunging, but you will need one hand to hold the base and the other to move the machine up and down. The control may not be as good as two side handles, but it is still do-able as it is quite small

If you just preset the depth and apply the machine to the timber, then it will do the job.

I can't see any problem in using it for hinges, edges or any other task where the bit is set preset depths.

For £25, I would go for it.

It may be worth seeing if your mate can pick up the optional woodworking base too if it is not too much - and one for me!

Ta for replies guys! Sounds like a handy machine for lighter jobs.

The woodworking base has to be ordered from http://www.ryobitools.com/service-support/power-parts
part # 200334001 $17 plus postage. As far as I know you can't get them from retailers. I'll probably make one from acrylic and a couple of bits of broomstick :oops:

dont forget if you haven't already got the batteries and charger get him to bring back a couple of batteries and you can buy a charger whilst your waiting ;)

The batteries are dirt cheap, about £12 each! but I already have a couple of the older style batteries with my CDI-1800 combi, which I believe are one+ compatible. These are still good.

I'd feel bad making him lug all these tools back though, I'm gonna get an impact driver too, so I'll leave the batteries.

I've got a couple of pieces of the ryobi one stuff.(2speed hammer drill & jig saw) and your right about the battery capacity. However they do an in car charger, thats got me out of the mire on more than one occasion. :oops: Got mine from our local shop-Savoy Timber-they do have a web site, but as a newbie I dont want to post links, cos I dont know if thats allowed here. ( the Savoy site is pretty c**p anyway, but it does have contact info) :)
Apart from the limited power of the batterys, I'd say they are ok unless you are a real power user.
Cheers

i have had several ryobi +1 tools for several years and was very satified with the power and reliabilty of the tools, now the big but the first set of batteries (with a yellow case) have just given up the gost used and abused daily as a electrician the new set of bateries are in a grey case same item number but i had to take the first ones back as they had very little charge time and power and one of the two bateries got very hot and had smoke and fumes coming out of it, the replacment ones are as about as cr*p as the worn out bateries

You weren't trying to charge the new li-ion batteries in your old charger were you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back