Ryobi powertools...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new cordless drill and am looking at a Ryobi one wiht Lithium Ion batteries for £100. Are Ryobi more a DIY tool than a trade tool designed for heavy regular use (like Dewalk adn Makita)???

Sponsored Links
hahaha :D :D

i rate ryobi as diy and light to medium trade

at 40% the cost off the big boys they can do 80% off the work ;)

is that close enough deluks ;)

It's good, and it IS right!

Roy-Walker_682_546281a.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can get a LIon makita at screwfix for £120 at the moment. Thats what i'd go for if i was in the market.

Ive used Ryobi tools for the last two years, their O.K but they have now changed their marketing and I think they have compromised the robustness, for instance, original drill twin pack was great value for money and would do the jobs asked, I changed to Lithium batteries[ advised] and promptly burnt out the motor on the circular saw and knackered the gearbox on the combi drill which made oi spit :evil: The tools became different beasts with Lithium power but they are not up to the power upgrade. AEG are the professional version of Ryobi, expensive but brilliant or Makita as allready posted, you get what you pay for but it depends what usage you expect from the drill, hope this helps.

Ryobi and other similar 18v drills are big and heavy, and most jobs can be done just as well with a smaller, lighter 12v unit.

IMO, Ryobi are good, but only really good if you are buying into their system and will buy all their other stuff too to take advantage of the single battery.

If you just want a drill for general DIY/occasional use, other lighter ones may be better - particularly if doing more screw driving than drilling

i always use Hitachi from impact 14v lion to 18 volt lion combo drill to 24 nicad sds never let me down yet in 4 years off use and still on original batteries. as people say you pay for quality but quality pays for it self in the long run. just my thoughts

Ryobi and other similar 18v drills are big and heavy, and most jobs can be done just as well with a smaller, lighter 12v unit.

IMO, Ryobi are good, but only really good if you are buying into their system and will buy all their other stuff too to take advantage of the single battery.

If you just want a drill for general DIY/occasional use, other lighter ones may be better - particularly if doing more screw driving than drilling

in general woods i fully agree with you ;)
but what i will point out is theres many a strugling new tradsman who is very greatfull for the ryobi range that allows them to do a near proffesional job at reasonable speed whilst they find there feet and put money aside for the bosch /dewalt /hitachi/ more ryobi ;) /fein makita ect

too true when i started i was using some right cheap nasty stuff but at the end of day they done the job just and made me money to invest in better quality stuff

I have invested in most of the one+ range and some of them are used very often, and have taken the same beating that any other make would have, and they are still working with no problems

This hypothetical tradesman who buys Ryobi and saves for another make would be a fool. He should keep to the Ryobi. :cool:

i always use Hitachi from impact 14v lion to 18 volt lion combo drill to 24 nicad sds never let me down yet in 4 years off use and still on original batteries. as people say you pay for quality but quality pays for it self in the long run. just my thoughts

i swapped from dewalt to hitachi a few years ago (apart from my big saw which is ggggrrrreeeaaatttttttt!) and ive got to say im very impressed with the stuff.

I really cant see the argument about the price, if you shop around you can get the decent tools nearly as cheap as the mid range quality, and once youve got teh basuic start up of the batteries and charger, you can normally buy the naked tools very cheaply on the net

I would never ever buy Ryobi again, I was fooled into thinking they were good, they were returned the same day for a full refund, I broke two drills within a couple of hours.

I would never ever buy Ryobi again, I was fooled into thinking they were good, they were returned the same day for a full refund, I broke two drills within a couple of hours.

A lesson for everyone here, never loan out your tools!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back