Salus rt500rs thermostat going nuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Salus rt500rf programable thermostat is acting bonkers. Had it working fine for 6 months, now its going crazy.
It has been used on its factory settings, 22 degrees, manual and no programed on/off times. In the early hours of the morning, around 3am/4am it ignores the set temp on the unit and doesnt kick in the boiler, even if it gets to 14 degrees.then it kicks back in around 7am back to its normal manual input on the screen.
And now am having to check it several times a day and night as despite being set at 21 degrees it says any temp between 14 and 24degrees. And nobody has gone near it, changed the temp or moved the unit!
There is no problem with the signal to the reciever or reciever to boiler.
Being disabled i need to keep the house warm and a constant temperature day and night. This " cold snap" issue at night is causing chest problems and the thermostat deciding to lower its setting on its own isnt helping.

Sponsored Links
I have come across a couple of installations where the receiver is being turned on / off by a Salus thermostat in a neighbouring property. This is because all Salus rt500rf's leave the factory with the same RF address code. Maybe one of your neighbours has had a new Salus installed recently that is causing the problem. You could try changing the RF code of your thermostat and receiver, but make sure that you follow the instructions carefully, step by step.

Have the settings been corrupted? it's worth checking that the programmes are set correctly. Personally I don't find the rt500rf very user friendly and a bit of a faff.

Are the batteries OK? Check to see if the display is showing the low battery indicator symbol.

Has something changed in your home recently that maybe blocking the signal between the thermostat and receiver? For example a new fridge freezer placed at the side of the receiver? You could try removing the thermostat from the wall and placing it near the receiver just as a test, to see if it works then.

Hi. Thanks for replying.
I agree the programing bit is a real genius bit of unfriendly set up.
I havent got the programmer on, mines just on factory setting.
I took the batteries out and left it for 20mins. Then popped brand new batteries in and did a reset on the button.
The thermistat is talking to the reciever unit fine.
But yet even after that, the display is showing roughly the right room temp ( i have a separate temp/humidity electronic barometer close by).
I used the standard temp adjustment buttons to set the thermostat to 23 degrees, and the disolay is reading 22 degrees.
30 mins later the boiler is off, the reciever is just on red standby( the green light above saying its working and the boiler is being turned on, is off) and the thermostat setting - the one that comes up when you press the up/down control- is yet again sat at 14degrees!
Checked the internal program temp settings for all 7 days and none are set lower than 20.
It makes no damn sense at all.
I will check my neighbour but i dont think she has changed her old honeywell dial thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back