Saniflow or wastepipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on the classic saniflow Vs standard toilet issue.

We're looking at getting an understairs toilet fitted in our house. We've had 5 people round to quote for it and all but one suggested we use a saniflow to go under the kitchen cupboards and out to the soil stack. The last person quoting for digging up the concrete kitchen floor and putting a 110mm waste pipe in instead. The quotes were roughly the same cost.

I'd definitely prefer the normal toilet version, but I'm worried that this 5th person hasn't spotted something all the others have. Or maybe the others are suggesting the saniflow because it'll be easier for them to fit it?

Are there any major issues in digging up the concrete floor? Breaching damp course or something? Anything in particular to look out for?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on the classic saniflow Vs standard toilet issue.

We're looking at getting an understairs toilet fitted in our house. We've had 5 people round to quote for it and all but one suggested we use a saniflow to go under the kitchen cupboards and out to the soil stack. The last person quoting for digging up the concrete kitchen floor and putting a 110mm waste pipe in instead. The quotes were roughly the same cost.

I'd definitely prefer the normal toilet version, but I'm worried that this 5th person hasn't spotted something all the others have. Or maybe the others are suggesting the saniflow because it'll be easier for them to fit it?

Are there any major issues in digging up the concrete floor? Breaching damp course or something? Anything in particular to look out for?

Thanks
digging up the floor and getting a new connection to the soil pipe is a major job. Yes, you'll go through the damp proofing . Can you post some pics of inside route and outside too - somerimes it's better to go outside and undergtound .

One rule often overlooked with macerators is that you cant go down below floor level, along and then rise up at the end without effecting the life expected of the unit.

Sponsored Links
Get a Saniflo, they're the easy option and they are fine for occasional use. Mrs Mottie says ours is only to be used for number ones but when the cats away……. ;)

digging up the floor and getting a new connection to the soil pipe is a major job. Yes, you'll go through the damp proofing . Can you post some pics of inside route and outside too - somerimes it's better to go outside and undergtound .
Here's a rough image of the potential route:
1700577834858.png

Just outside the wall at the bottom is a garden wall (about 60mm gap between it and the house) so running a full size pipe round the outside is probably out.

Mines run outside on my flank wall in 22mm copper. If it was on your picture, it would run from top right corner to just round the bottom right corner.

Here's a rough image of the potential route:
View attachment 321991
Just outside the wall at the bottom is a garden wall (about 60mm gap between it and the house) so running a full size pipe round the outside is probably out.
Are all your floors concrete?

How old is the house?

Yes, concrete. It's an old Victorian house so >100 years old.

110mm pipe (laid correctly) is going to be fit and forget, and will take a lot more abuse than a Macerator will cope with.

Just be prepared for a few surprises though if you start digging up an old Victorian Floor, you never quite know what's underneath...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back