School run

Sponsored Links

Nothing wrong with that, if adults don't complain about children cycling on pavements, and you don't have a job to get to.

Like all things these days, it's a minority of parents that are dicks. My kids school has all these problems, most people are sensible but it only takes 10 or 20 out of 400 to make it dangerous or annoying for others.

Money would be better spent on fining repeat offenders. Most schools have no parking zones and double yellows, don't they? About time they were enforced.

I thought the point was extending the restrictions? People will still get ****ed off with parents parking.
I don't think parking is the problem, it's the abandoning of vehicles in dangerous places, double parking, kids just running out of cars without looking, and all in a very small stretch of road. At least parking a bit farther away it will spread the problem out.

Sponsored Links
I guess all schools are different. Ours has tried everything, even having the 2 heads stand outside on the road tell people not to stop. Some still did though, just laughed it off and said "haven't got time".

You could close the whole road, but it will just move the problem along a bit. Fining people for breaking road traffic laws will get the message across, but the authorities are not interested.

I don't think parking is the problem, it's the abandoning of vehicles in dangerous places, double parking, kids just running out of cars without looking, and all in a very small stretch of road.

I live a few hundred metres from our village primary school.

Its exactly what you say, loads stressed parents in a rush to drop kids off......attention not on driving.

And at pick up time, they are in their cars, texting or facebook and engine running

Nothing wrong with that, if adults don't complain about children cycling on pavements, and you don't have a job to get to.
Kids cycle to school....parents drive or cycle to work.

Like all things these days, it's a minority of parents that are dicks. My kids school has all these problems, most people are sensible but it only takes 10 or 20 out of 400 to make it dangerous or annoying for others.

Money would be better spent on fining repeat offenders. Most schools have no parking zones and double yellows, don't they? About time they were enforced.
Schools near me...all zig zagged...signs up....they all park straddling the cycle lane and path!!!!!....NUMB as freekin cocaine....really pizzes me off...

I'd like to think I wasn't an arse as a headteacher, but if my regular requests for common sense parking went unheeded, I just phoned the traffic warden, whose number I had, and he'd do a couple of pms in a row, nick 15-20 and all was well for for a while.

What hasn't been mentioned is the likely desire to push the static running emissions a little further away from the immediate school environment. Reasonable, but only moves the problem on, without changing a jot of emission.

I know wardens have patrolled our roads, but it is like once every few years, or so it seems. And the problem here is not just that people park near the school, but some drive dangerously, far too fast. There have been a lot of near misses.

but some drive dangerously, far too fast. There have been a lot of near misses.

My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land. But most of all, I remember the road warrior, the man we called Max.

mad-max-fury-road-e1532441923113.jpg

I'd guess the idea is that it is trying to make walking to school less daunting (carrot) by moving the parent drop offs further away and making it more awkward to do the run in a car (stick), which then means that those who could walk but don't get a nudge to go for walking. Sometimes cutting a small fraction of the traffic makes a much bigger difference. So even if parents drive nearby to boot Tarquin and Esmarelda out the car then it may be spread out enough to be ok.

Might work in some places, but a typical problem is that there are only residential roads around the schools. Residents already have issues with drives being blocked, but there really isn't anywhere nearby you can easily park a load of cars. Parking is our village (very much an urban village now) is a big problem - many people now work in the village but there is not a single all day carpark - the only carparks are private run and only allow 2 hours parking before fining you about £70. So people have to park on residential roads - many travel far to work and public transport is not an option (one woman I worked with often had to get a taxi because the bus just wouldn't turn up some days - she learnt to drive).

One simple solution would be a school bus that picks kids up from outside their houses - many countries have school buses for primary aged children, why don't we? Not something the government would want to pay for though.

One simple solution would be a school bus that picks kids up from outside their houses - many countries have school buses for primary aged children, why don't we? Not something the government would want to pay for though.

We do. But it's outside 2 miles for free transport. Three for secondary.

Sponsored Links
Back