Scientologists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Entertaining prog on the other night about the scientologists and how they harass and bully members who leave the fold. But it got me thinking. Scientology is so utterly ridiculous I find it hard to understand that people really take it seriously. Yet millions upon millions are truly devoted. Obviously some of them make a career out of it and some of them are just mentalists. But what's in it for the average Joe who just sends in the monthly cheque?

Sponsored Links
They came up to me in a parking lot once so I paid them a visit in one of their main offices.

They had this 'E-meter' gadget that Hubbard said he invented, so of course I asked for a schematic for the thing.
I guess I'm lucky they didn't beat the cr@p out of me for just asking.

Also read one of Hubbard's books. If these ideas are based on science it wasn't apparent to me.

Cult leaders are usually paranoids but he didn't totally fit that picture. BTW, I have a book on my shelf that says Jesus was paranoid.

Jeds -

Entertaining prog on the other night about all religions and how they harass and bully members who leave the fold. But it got me thinking. All religion is so utterly ridiculous I find it hard to understand that people really take it seriously. Yet millions upon millions are truly devoted. Obviously some of them make a career out of it and some of them are just mentalists. But what's in it for the average Joe who just sends in the monthly cheque?

Just a form of brain-washing by those in charge.

Sponsored Links
Best mate was going out with a woman who was involved with some kind of cult like that; she tried to get him involved and for about thirty seconds I was worried that he might go along to one of their brainwashing meetings. Then he discovered that her previous BF had also been involved and had topped himself.... :eek:

Just make your own mind up, I have no problem with peaceful religion, just don't force it down my throat. Do I believe, no, do i care about not believing, no. Do I care that other people believe? No. Do I respect their belief? yes.

Just make your own mind up, I have no problem with peaceful religion, just don't force it down my throat. Do I believe, no, do i care about not believing, no. Do I care that other people believe? No. Do I respect their belief? yes.

I respect others' beliefs so long as:

- they respect my lack of a belief;
- they don't try to impose their practices on me;
- they don't demand that we change our practices to suit them.

Sponsored Links
Back