Votes: 7 58.3%
  • later

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just wondering with scotland going for vote on independence wondering if they should get over with or wait

Sponsored Links
The SNP have promised a referendum on independence, in the second half of their term in Scottish Parliament, which in realistic terms gives them up until 2016 to hold it.
However speaking as Scot living south of the border. I think the SNP knows, Scotland's dependency upon money from the UK parliament. I also think the Scottish electorate are clever enough to know they could never be fully independent from "The Union".
Free prescriptions, university education etc are all nice things, but the cost of these has to come from somewhere. An independent Scotland , couldn't afford these and the electorate know this full well.
That's why I think, when they do hold a referendum, their going to return with a massive NO vote against independence. ;) ;)

i hope they do to but if they do vote for independance then atleast we all know where we stand and give uk parliment and scottish parliment time to sort the devorce papper
p.s. u get to keep brown ;)

As I live and work in England, I certainly hope I don't get to keep Brown.
I don't think an independence vote would win the day though. Scot's are canny folk who know which side the bread is buttered on. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Free prescriptions, university education etc are all nice things, but the cost of these has to come from somewhere. An independent Scotland , couldn't afford these and the electorate know this full well.

I have thought that this spend thrift nature that the Scots have doesn't sit well with their reputation. Unless of course it's somebody else's money they are able to use.
I guess the English are being asked to pay back the oil revenue now.

All these freebies that are being given by Wales and Scotland are a real slap in the face for the English.

I wouldn't care about these things if I could use my bus pass in Wales though. :(

The thing is Wreckedit, Scottish and Welsh politicians have quite literally, bought their votes. Without monetary support from the UK parliament, neither would be able to afford free anything for their electorate. At least not without higher taxation to those in the respective countries.

The SNP have a majority in the Scottish parliament for the first time and I'd want to see how they used it before I handed them even more power. If the referendum was today I would play safe and vote No.

Space cat, The SNP know, if the referendum was tomorrow that a resounding NO would win the day. As I've said before, Scot's people are not daft. They realise that a vast amount of money comes from south of the border and I'm also sure that Alex Salmond realises this too.
The big question is, If in several years time the Scot's feel able to go it alone, what monetary system are they going to have? and how will it relate to the British?? / English Pound?

I'm very interested in the idea of Independence for England

Anyone not know what the Barnett Formula is?

It's a rule for handing out more of the taxpayers' money to the non-English.

"Using figures for the financial year 2006/2007,[4] if a UK-wide per-capita average was a notional 100% then identifiable per-capita expenditure on services in England would be 97% and the Scottish amount 117%. Wales would be 111% and Northern Ireland 127%. This comprises all expenditure that can be identified as being to the benefit of a particular country. It does not, however, take account of 'non-identifiable expenditure', such as defence and debt interest, which are deemed to be for the benefit of the entire UK, regardless as to where the monies are actually spent.

In actual monetary figures, this will work out as (per person):[5]

England £7,121
Scotland £8,623
Wales £8,139
Northern Ireland £9,385
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

I think the idea was to treat them generously in the hope they'd be grateful and want to stay in the UK. As they aren't, and they don't, let 'em sod off.

Well Mr D, If the Scots and Welsh ever gain full independence, England would also be independent (but neither countries would be independent of the EU. ) Would they? ;) ;)

Or,, alternative thinking here. The UK is a member of the EU. If there ever was a time when there isn't a United Kingdom, would the UK membership lapse? Would parliaments be forced into a referendum on EU membership by each country(England, Scotland and Wales)???
Could be our ultimate way out of the EU. ;) ;)

It's not hypothetical, it's a rule used to lob more money at the non-English.

Some of the old spending allocations were even more generous, and this formula was created to stop them getting away with even more :eek:

The UK parliament hasn't dared make spending fairer for the English, as the others would chuck their toys out of the pram.

How do you think they can afford free Universities?

Who do you think paid for the luxurious, over-budget Scottish Parliament building? Not the Scots.

The point I'm trying to make is , that should they gain independence altogether, then the Barnett formula can no longer be used. If after such a time, the same formula was used to dole out money to English counties, we'd still see discrepancies on where the money went.
As for free university education and prescriptions, I have already said that without money from the UK parliament, Scotland or Wales couldn't afford either. They have used these as sweeteners for their electorate, but the same electorate ain't daft. Scotland will have their referendum on more financial autonomy. It won't be a referendum on whether to leave the Union.
And there's the difference.

then perhaps England should vote to be independent of the sponging parasites.

FROM WHO THOUGH ?? That's an even bigger question.
If we had a UK wide referendum on dissolving the Union, or leaving the EU. Which way do you think the people would vote?

Who are the bigger sponging parasites, The EU or the Scottish and Welsh Assemblies? ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back