Scottish Independance

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit worried because I feel Salmond has "massaged" his electorate, by allowing 16/17 yr olds to vote..

I feel as an Englishman, it won't bring us down, but I actually love having Scotland, and the Scottish as part of us.. (apart from the Rugby World Cup!)

Needless worry Somby, ma lad. Latest polls show the indy vote to be a loser, with about 75% of the electorate expected tae vote a resounding NO.
Salmond has backed a losing strategy. Us Scots ken what side oor bread is buttered on. ;) ;) ;)

(But, when the vote returns a no, will Salmond accept it and dae the right thing and stand doon? ( I doubt it) ;) ;)

EDIT.... I also think 16 and 17 yr olds have more sense than Salmond credits them with.

Personally, I'd rather the Scots remain within the UK, as it would be to our mutual benefit. We have a number of Scottish friends at our Scottish dancing society, although I haven't pried into their feelings on the matter.

I think the motives of this Salmon chap are a bit fishy (if you'll pardon the pun) and wonder if he is doing this only for his own ultimate aggrandisement, as I'm not sure that Scotland would be as well off financially on their own.

Then again, what's the betting that, if independence does come about, we'll find Westminster throwing money at them anyway in some form of support. They throw it at lots of other foreigners anyway, despite our own shortages!

Sponsored Links
Heard somebody talking about an interesting poll the other day on the radio. Three polls were made with the same questions except one suggested individuals would be £500 better off and the other £500 worse off. I can't exactly remember the figures as I was driving but the middle ground is something like a 40% yes vote. The poll making scots £500 worse off dropped to 20% and the poll making them better off rises to 57%. Not surprising really but it suggests it's all about the economy and if true it means the vote might be heavily influenced by how well the economy is doing next year.

Not surprising really but it suggests it's all about the economy and if true it means the vote might be heavily influenced by how well the economy is doing next year.

Depends on how well it's sold or mis-sold, which ever the case may be.

That's right Jeds. I can't remember the figure but without the funding, concessions AKA tax breaks, (my words), they would be broke! They enjoy the Gravy Train from London and would have to cough up a kings ransom to survive without 'us'. That said, there are some interesting black gold reserves up North.. :rolleyes:

On a personal level, I think the whole UK should be one united states. It never fails to amaze me how even when you see the weather forecast there’s “and over Northern Island” like the South doesn't exist. They don’t understand it/us in America either. I just tell them it’s all over religion; so not much different to what’s going on all over the stupid world sadly...

Add: “We’re only united in the sense that the Irish hate the English. The Scots hate the English. The Welsh hate the English. And the English hate virtually everybody else, including most of the English”. (Andy Parsons). :LOL:

“We’re only united in the sense that the Irish hate the English. The Scots hate the English. The Welsh hate the English. And the English hate virtually everybody else, including most of the English”. (Andy Parsons). :LOL:
:D

Yes, and he also said that's what makes us so tolerant -

because we live with so many people we can't ****ing stand.

Will all the Scottish born MP's leave the British parliament?

That's right Jeds. I can't remember the figure but without the funding, concessions AKA tax breaks, (my words), they would be broke! They enjoy the Gravy Train from London and would have to cough up a kings ransom to survive without 'us'. That said, there are some interesting black gold reserves up North.. :rolleyes:

On a personal level, I think the whole UK should be one united states. It never fails to amaze me how even when you see the weather forecast there’s “and over Northern Island” like the South doesn't exist. They don’t understand it/us in America either. I just tell them it’s all over religion; so not much different to what’s going on all over the stupid world sadly...

Add: “We’re only united in the sense that the Irish hate the English. The Scots hate the English. The Welsh hate the English. And the English hate virtually everybody else, including most of the English”. (Andy Parsons). :LOL:

:rolleyes: Absolute tripe. Scotland has 8.4% of the uk population. Last year we put in 9.9% of uk treasury receipt. We have put in more per head of population relative to the rest of the uk for each of the last 32 years. Check out the government expenditure and revenue survey from the uk government office of national statistics. It's not all about the economy either. I'd happily be a wee bit worse off if it meant my bairns were being raised in a country which has nothing to do with illegal wars, and has no nuclear weapons. A country which prioritises education and health, and a country which has a parliament directly accountable to the electorate.

Heard somebody talking about an interesting poll the other day on the radio. Three polls were made with the same questions except one suggested individuals would be £500 better off and the other £500 worse off. I can't exactly remember the figures as I was driving but the middle ground is something like a 40% yes vote. The poll making scots £500 worse off dropped to 20% and the poll making them better off rises to 57%.

I'm not surprised.

You know who invented copper wire, don't you?

It was a Scotsman and a Yorkshireman arguing over a penny.

I'm an Englishman, born in Hampshire, still have my Hampshire twang, ( magic). I'm married to a Scot's girl, and i've lived in Lossiemouth, Scotland for 45 years. We have a massive RAF airbase here, the only one left in Scotland, and soon to be "home" to the Typhoon fighter. The vast majority of people i speak to about independence are "against it". Myself, my family and all of my friends are against it too. I'd "never ever" vote for it. Although Alex Salmond is a very shrewd politician, he is also a fool who would give everything to anybody just to get the vote. Many people in Scotland can see right through him now. In the past few weeks, even some of his own top brass in the Yes camp have resigned. Salmond has also been branded a liar and a bully in some newspapers. One of his former SNP MSP's, Bill Walker was jailed today for beating up his former wives. Many in the SNP knew this man was a wife beater "years ago"but turned a blind eye to it. When it all came out in the open, the SNP disowned him. They're hypocrites who do things to suit themselves. God help Scotland if these arrogant, dictatorial fools ever gain control.

Wow, interesting stough roughcaster..

My thoughts are that Salmond is an extremist, and he's not thinking of the average Scot in the street. His notion of giving the vote to 16/17 yr olds is that old nutshell of bending the rules... as they're more likely to be militant, and not understand the history and the economics.

Anyone any thoughts on how England/Britain and Scotland would become if there was a split?

Sponsored Links
Back