Scottish independence

Oh dear, clootie dumpling. This Christmas it's the turn to visit the mrs family in Aberdeen and there is always somebody who brings one round. How the F are you supposed to eat one of those after a Christmas dinner of biblical proportions?

Prefer a nice cranachan myself and the mrs does a good one.

Unfortunately there are a lot of Scots who love Salmond's style, his penchant to slag off the English at any opportunity makes him popular amongst a certain group. And he loves giving other people's money to them too. It will be financial suicide for the Scots to leave the UK but he's the man to do it.

Sponsored Links
It's a farce and a potentially expensive one.

The whole idea of a bunch of 16 year old weegie neds voting yes because of their lack of intelligence but an abundance of racism is worrying.

Salmond is a weasel, I can't see anyone sensible falling for his propaganda.

Scots can in no way afford true independence....

Yes they can.

If they go independent they could go back to Scottish currency, which would be worth less, the state would pay out it's workers and dependencies in Scottish currency (with probably some cut's but less than if they stick with the pound, if they Stick with the pound this would tie them in with a currency they no longer have any control or stake in).

They could of course adopt the Euro, would be funny to see them join the slow lane in two speed Europe.

No they could not, in any way shape or form. They have no credible defense, no trade links other than from the UK, no currency, and a hell of a lot of bankrupt banks.

Scots can in no way afford true independence....

Yes they can.

If they go independent they could go back to Scottish currency, which would be worth less, the state would pay out it's workers and dependencies in Scottish currency (with probably some cut's but less than if they stick with the pound, if they Stick with the pound this would tie them in with a currency they no longer have any control or stake in).

They could of course adopt the Euro, would be funny to see them join the slow lane in two speed Europe.

No they could not, in any way shape or form. They have no credible defense, no trade links other than from the UK, no currency, and a hell of a lot of bankrupt banks.

Defence against what? I suppose the Nordic countries have no credible defence, having similar sized populations but being landlocked to Europe.

No trade links? WTO, commonwealth, Europe (unless you think china is in the EU), they have access to trade routes through many existing world trade treaties.

No currency? Well duh, they are part of the UK. When they are not part of the UK they can make their own currency, which will benefit their exports not being tied to the pound.

Bankrupt banks? No, we bailed them out, ho ho ho.

Sponsored Links
Scots can in no way afford true independence.... not a hope in hell. I wish they would quit banging on about north sea oil, that will not help. They are dependent on the rest of the UK and they know it. Not that we in England want them that is, be perfectly happy to see them try, but it's a one way choice, we will definitely not have them back.
we said the same thing about the Irish and their doing OK.

Despite Scotland's oil wealth being squandered down south, there is still a decent income there for many years...

And after all, Norway have done so badly over the years haven't they...:rolleyes:

Scots can in no way afford true independence.... not a hope in hell. I wish they would quit banging on about north sea oil, that will not help. They are dependent on the rest of the UK and they know it. Not that we in England want them that is, be perfectly happy to see them try, but it's a one way choice, we will definitely not have them back.

When were the Irish part of the UK?

Having oil doesn't make you rich anyway, if it did most of the middle east wouldn't be living in poverty.

Take Germany, produces something like 150k barrels per day, and uses 2.5 million per day.

So they're still 150k barrels of oil a day better off than they would be if they had none.

what! they're close to a third world nation. Bailed out and bankrupt.

up until 1927 I think

The vote of the Braveheart idiots who think the film is a record of fact which it certainly is NOT, will be inflated by the 16 year olds getting the vote.

I have no doubt if Independence is won, the ENGLISH government will give financial aid to the Scots just as we do for India.
although it was James the VI of Scotland who took the British throne, seems to me that the Scots should be giving aid to England for their stealing of the English Crown.

what! they're close to a third world nation. Bailed out and bankrupt.
It was the criminal activities of the banks which brought the Irish economy down,

Give us back all the revenue for the oil you robbed and we will give you the crown back,then when global warming hits England hard we will sell you water simples :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

up until 1927 I think

NI still is in UK.

Sponsored Links
Back