Screwfix rubbish

Kendor, that's what I thought, look at the original question.

Sponsored Links
Mind your own business Kendo !!

Wonder if we ran Screwup out of Somerset ?

It is, as with electricity, differences, these drive the economies and peoples aspirations .... Jobs move to India and China to exploit the low wage economy .. cut costs .. Give up on the first after one or two phone calls ..... Did Mucus Aerospace source gearboxes in the Far East for USAF ? Allegedly when the special materials ran out of stock, they used a non-conforming steel alloy ? Was it £10M dollar fine and near to preferred supplier revocation ? All somewhere along those lines.
China making parts for Blowing aircraft ... at times 95% binned before shipping ... but they do buy the makers aircraft, the jobs are oiling the process. ... Cheap way in !!
You just cannot make a purse out of a sow's ear .. overnight.
P

Sponsored Links
Trials and tribulations are they anything to do with this company
http://www.esker.co.uk/ They are automating order and supply management announced 17th Aug 2004.
Perhaps they slipped down to Q&B for some bits and pieces ... they'll find them soon ! ;)
P

Perhaps their new warehouse is in Tibet? That would explain the delivery delays (due to distance), the website closure (due to periods of praying), lack of understanding of their market (due to cultural differences), and inability to get straight answer (due to language barrier). And it isn't in Europe.

david and julie said:
If you want those things that is for you. Many pro euro people would probably want the same.

The problem is we live in a democracy which is being hi-jacked and any opposing view is being ignored.
Mmmm.... But what are we to do when so much of the "opposing view" is actually ignorant people regurgitating the lies that they read in the popular press?

Before anything on this scale is contemplated our views should be sought.
If we had a referendum on bringing back the death penalty, it would probably be voted in. But that wouldn't make it right.

Incidently your subtle changing of my wording didn't go unnoticed.
Dear God - now what? What wording of yours have I changed?

ban-all-sheds said:
Mmmm.... But what are we to do when so much of the "opposing view" is actually ignorant people regurgitating the lies that they read in the popular press?

I have no doubt this happens, but it goes both ways. I don't read newspapers other than on planes and trains (I never have the time to read a broadsheet cover to cover, and whilst the Sun is entertaining I never feel that I have been informed), I rely on the BBC News website. But I do know that different papers swing different ways. So just as the Daily Mail is seen as a beacon of uninformed right-wing readers, in my opinion The Guardian is the tome of uninformed loony lefties: it is hardly The Morning Star, granted. Given a choice between a tabloid and The Guardian, I would read The Guardian, but only because it is pitched to a reading age of greater than 10. Unless the tabloid is The Sport: that has boobs in it.

If we had a referendum on bringing back the death penalty, it would probably be voted in. But that wouldn't make it right.

If it is voted in through a national referendum, this reflects the feelings of the people who voted at that moment in time, it is therefore right. :LOL: Your opinion is that it would be wrong, and you are entitled to that opinion. But, in this situation you would be in the minority and therefore less correct than those who voted in the majority.

It's a reverse-1984 scenario: "if we say that stars are balls of fire a few kilometres up, then that is what they are". In other words, even if you can give irrefutable proof, even common sense, that the outcome was not in the best interests of the country, you are still incorrect.

Remember, we all have different interests in this. Perhaps you will gain by further integration, perhaps others will lose their job. People already have. Those people, and those in their communities will remember that.

I did not say opinions cannot be right or wrong. If you go back and take your blinkered glasses off, I said NEITHER right or wrong, which is completely different.

I will gladly discuss Europe with you, in the open forum, if you actually tell me what you want to speak about.

You have said what you want, but you have yet to convince me why those things would benefit me.

You are being very dictatorial in all your comments and you have still not come up with one positive thing to say for Europe.

If I was an anti europe campaigner I would prefer people like you because you are doing my job for me.

[/b]

I am not swayed by newspaper 'sales' mirroring buyers political outlook ... I have worked among a large diversity of people ... Ok so Rog' opens Sun and is avidly studying away .. "Fancy you reading that.." Is the question.
"But what am I reading ?"
Transpires only buying for the horse racing coverage ... which he prefers to other papers' coverage. I then found quite a few people who like to read a cross section of the newspapers ... gives differing slants, they.
The Mail is just so extreme, but sometimes, I am sure, it uncovers something tasty which is not contested and in this litigious world one can only assume tis at least nearly right .. I suppose the paper is so desperate to dish the dirt tis bound to find something ... Investigations not fairly apportioned, but better in the open. .... Is the Mail not aimed at middle England Wives ? Again perhaps a fair proportion read the femail stuff and disregard the propaganda .... Others (not the wives maybe) like the soccer coverage and buy for that.
The propaganda reinforces the right winger's outlook (no gains there then), but does it recruit members to the gang ? Enough to worry about ? I don't think so.
But then again, 'spin' is seen as important by any Govn .. I guess by the apathy in voting at Elections ... Spin isn't carrying the weight they imagined, perhaps it is true .. about fooling the people .. '.. not all of the time !' .... Beginning to convince myself that 'None of the Above' should be offered such that if it were in a majority something would have to be done ... like kicking in a revote, with proportional representation, and the lack of clear cut decision making that may entail ... But, we, the people would have made our choice.
But having blurted all of that .... I generally read the press from here now :-
http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/britnews.htm Some links are not good .. gathers lots together tho'. .. good to get at the 'locals'.
And I support the BBC, a great institution IMHO.
P

AdamW said:
If it is voted in through a national referendum, this reflects the feelings of the people who voted at that moment in time, it is therefore right. :LOL: Your opinion is that it would be wrong, and you are entitled to that opinion. But, in this situation you would be in the minority and therefore less correct than those who voted in the majority.
No, no, and a thousand times NO! Being in the majority does not make you right, and being in the minority does not make you wrong.

If a majority of people thought that the earth was flat, would that make them right?

If a majority of people thought that 2+2=5, would that make them right?

pipme is correct it is costs which make companies move.

http://www.instaffs.co.uk/assist.asp

http://www.instaffs.co.uk/develop/develop.asp?SiteId=19&Section=main

They also take these sort of "incentives" into account. This is one of the things that I don't like about Euro grants. They claim they create work whereas they have actually only move jobs from one place to another.These 500 jobs were probably needed more in Somerset than Stoke anyway.

They give our money to wealthy companies who were moving anyway.

We could do this and also pick the area's if we wanted and more cheaply.

Unfortunatly it is against the Euro rules.

ban-all-sheds said:
No, no, and a thousand times NO! Being in the majority does not make you right, and being in the minority does not make you wrong.

If a majority of people thought that the earth was flat, would that make them right?

If a majority of people thought that 2+2=5, would that make them right?

If you read my post properly you will understand. You will note that I actually said:

you would be in the minority and therefore less correct than those who voted in the majority.

And my reference to 1984 was along the same lines as your "Earth is flat" argument. In the book, the interrogator says something along the lines of "What are stars? We say they are balls of fire a few kilometres up.". The point is, that is right because the people who have the power said it is. In the case of a referendum, the proletariat hold the power (influence is another debate). Therefore, if they say something is right, it is. If it is found later to be wrong, so be it. But there will always be a minority. For years the Tories were in power. All the Labour voters were saying "See, this is all your fault" to their Tory friends. Now Labout are in power, I say the same thing back at them "we wouldn't be in this mess if you lot had voted Tory". :LOL:

However, the Earth is flat, that is a fact. We can prove that. But, taking your example of the death penalty, prove to me that the it is wrong. And without the "you prove to me it is right" argument. You can't. You can offer your opinion it is wrong. You might draw on religious books, you might refer to works of great philosophers. You might even show that it is illogical to put someone to death when they are a perfectly good source of labour. However, your opinion is just that: an opinion. No matter how convinced you are, people will oppose you. If you don't like it, invent a time machine, go back to the 1950s, and move to Russia. ;)

AdamW said:
If you read my post properly you will understand. You will note that I actually said:

you would be in the minority and therefore less correct than those who voted in the majority.
OK - apologies - I'll change my comment to "being in the majority does not make you more correct than the minority". And I'm afraid there are also instances where it does not make your opinion more important than the minority.

And my reference to 1984 was along the same lines as your "Earth is flat" argument. In the book, the interrogator says something along the lines of "What are stars? We say they are balls of fire a few kilometres up.". The point is, that is right because the people who have the power said it is.
A very interesting interesting existential debate, but I'm concerned with the real world, and in the real world that's bo||ocks.

In the case of a referendum, the proletariat hold the power (influence is another debate). Therefore, if they say something is right, it is.
That's bo||ocks too. Society may decide to do what the majority want, even though it is wrong, but doing it does not make it right.

However, the Earth is flat, that is a fact. We can prove that.
More bo||ocks.

But, taking your example of the death penalty, prove to me that the it is wrong.
Of course I can't prove that it is wrong - I can advance all sorts of logical and moral arguments as to why it is wrong, but if, ultimately, someone is such a stupid and bloodthirsty savage that they do not see that it is wrong then there's nothing I can do, except to hope that their opinion is ignored.

And without the "you prove to me it is right" argument. You can't. You can offer your opinion it is wrong. You might draw on religious books, you might refer to works of great philosophers. You might even show that it is illogical to put someone to death when they are a perfectly good source of labour. However, your opinion is just that: an opinion.
The death penalty is wrong. People who cannot see that are wrong. Their opinion counts for nothing, no matter how widely it is held.

No matter how convinced you are, people will oppose you.
I don't give a toss. As far as the aspect of the death penalty is concerned, people who are in favour of it are worth less than dogshyt on the sole of my shoe.

Sponsored Links
Back