Toolstation/Screwfix ETC asking for postcode.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I go into Toolstation, Screwfix or Machine Mart the first thing I am asked is "Postcode?" I think it's intrusive. Why the hell should I have to give any shop my name, address, phone number and email just to buy something from there? When the inevitable happens and their website is hacked, your personal information will be sold on the darkweb to fraudsters, who will use it to try and rob you. They don't need your personal information, and shouldn't be asking for it for free.

They use this information for market research. If they want to use my personal information for marketing purposes, they can pay for it, at £50 a time. You are not obliged to give anyone your personal information, and under GDPR Right To Erasure law, you can ask them to delete from their servers any information of yours they already took:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-to-get-your-data-deleted/

Does this get on anyone else's nerves too.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I returned something to Wickes once and they insisted that I gave them a postcode, I gave them their own one, he typed it in and then said 'come on mate don't mess me about'. I said to him what difference does it make.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Big brother ;)

in due course every new car will come with internal cameras linked to dvla

location detevtors so they know were you are at any given time

and what is not known is that
smart meters already have in built recording devices that can be activated

that’s why they want every one to have one ;)

It’s activated by key words

Sponsored Links
I've changed my views on this slightly, maybe quite significantly. I think any individual should (easily) be able to decline giving such information, and purchasing should still be possible without any actual or perceived annoyance from those serving you. Online, quite a few websites still allow you to complete a transaction as a 'guest', so I'm assuming ... maybe wrongly ... the data you enter isn't retained.

A good few years back I was shopping in Matalan (what?!? it's affordable!!) I walked up to the counter with quite a few items. Long story short, the lady behind the counter was insistent the purchase couldn't proceed if I didn't sign up for a Matalan card. I didn't have to use it, but it was policy, or so she said.

I walked out, leaving the items on the counter.

However, these days I do most of my shopping online and tend to have accounts with these retailers. Of course you're right, there's always the chance of info ending up online, however (pessimistic view perhaps) we're increasingly becoming a cashless society where more and more is done with the swipe of a card.

Tbh a lot of your info is probably already out there.

Toolstation and other merchants should be the last data protection thought in your mind.
If you have a smartphone you're already tracked 24/7 and if you use any social, your life is public, no matter what settings you have saved.

I take your point, and my wife would agree , she wont give anyone her info , and turns everything off on the phone , and does not accept cookies

BUT - i like the convenience of having my receipt emailed , and they find me on the system, I have often used to get a refund in the past, without needing anything, and used once where i needed a repeat order, and asked them to look at my previous orders for a hinge thing - I could not remember it
so it works OK for me.

And now shopping is even faster when i use click and collect , as they now have a priority channel for those orders and are dealt with much quicker , at least when i went in about 5 times over the last 3 weeks, thats what happened , asked if a click & collect while standing in the queue.

loads of places have my email & address for sending good, Amazon, 7dayshop, FFX , machinemart, JTMplumbing - just those off the top of my head , sure there are many many others.

And i give a different email address for all internet stuff , which has loads of rules to auto delete all the spam rubbish

Just happened to me in Halfords. I just said no I don’t know it.
Then he asked for my email address. no I don’t know that either.:LOL:

Why the hell should I have to give any shop my name, address, phone number and email just to buy something from there?
Right on.

When I go around to my mate's house, they want me to take my shoes off when I enter, and I think "WTF, do you own this house or something, telling me what to do? :rolleyes: I mean, I could always go to someone else's house instead.

A family member got refused some fish food at a local Pets World or suchlike, as they not only did not want to provide their details "for verification" but could not answer a couple of questions about the fish and how they were cared for!!

It's never been compulsory though some may feed you BS as they don't know themselves.

Even with click n collect, all you give them is the order code.

As a clown said, just say don't know, or don't have one, simples It's not rocket science.

Try countering the counter staff by asking for their postcodes and email addresses.

Sponsored Links
Back