Scribing Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am struggling on the steps involved with how to cut the scribe for an internal corner. I can't seem to understand why you would have to cut a mitre first then scribe it? Apologies but I cannot follow the thread on the conversation.

Could someone please explain - step by step what I need to do (using the scribe technique). I am fitting OGEE skirting to an internal corner....

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
ok cut your 45% hatch [shade] the area you have just cut draw a pencil line on the ridge where the two angles meet [this will be the egde of the hatched area] cut out the pencil line bobs your uncle

ask someone else about undercutting i can't be arrrssed at the min :D :D :D :D :D ;)

jmanjmanj said:
Thanks for replying but I'm still none the wiser!!! :oops: :oops:

have you actualy tried what i have suggested!!!!!!!

just make sure you mitre the face [front] edge :rolleyes: :oops: :D ;)

Sponsored Links
once you have cut the 45 you will see the profile that you need to follow to create the scribe,try it and see for yourself,i couldnt get my head around it until i tried it

Excuse the sketch...I've been drinking. :oops:
What you need to do is this - working from left to right. Cut the left hand piece of skirting so it fits tight into the corner. The right hand piece is cut at 45° which leaves you with the profile of the skirting. You now need to cut away the profile (dark area). When you slide this cut piece up to the face of the uncut piece it should fit pretty closely. This process is continues around the room. This is the basic principle of scribing skirting.
P1000395.JPG

Once you understand the idea, you should think about making the cut at a slight angle so that you're not making the scribed cut square to the skirting but are making it so that it's cut at a slight angle towards the back side of the skirting - this will allow for a bit of innacuracy of your cutting. Once the skirting is fitted to the wall you can fill in gaps in the skirting wth decorators caulk. (assuming you're painting it ;) )

stunning gcol just stunning. simple and to the point. i've been drinking too and there's no way i could draw that or anything like it. if the op doesn't get it now he never will. ;)

i kid you not gcol, i've been thinking of a way of getting it across to the op and your diagram says it all. spot on.

and no sarcasm. :D

Thanks guys - will try it tonight! and let you know how I get on!

Great stuff - I think i've sen the light! (actually lighting is next on my list of DIY stuff!)

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back