SDS - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I allways use SDS drills as they are so much better than ordinary masonary drills. Whilst I fully understand that the non-slip chuck helps, I cannot see why bits work so much better.

Sponsored Links
Compared to what exactly?

Do you mean the bit or are you comparing an sds drill to a regular percussion hammer drill?

An sds drill punches the bit with a piston.

A hammer drill relies on a kind of hit and miss vibration and is incomparable to the punch power of an sds.

Basically SDS uses a pneumatic mechanism which gives a heavier, more "pronounced" impact than a normal percussion drill.

A normal percussion drill uses a lighter but faster impact mechanism - this is generated by 2 serrated cams turning against each other.

An easy way to see the difference is by drilling through brick - if you use an SDS hammer it will blow the other side of the brick out (look at anyone who's had a phone cable installed by BT - the bit that's been blown out is normally filled with silicone). A normal percussion drill won't do this, but equally won't be as good at drilling concrete as an SDS machine.

Horses for courses but most go for SDS as its fast in both brick and concrete.

Sponsored Links
They work on a different principle. Put one in an ordinary drill and they are hopeless.

They work on a different principle. Put one in an ordinary drill and they are hopeless.

They'll work just as well as an ordinary masonry bit, assuming you can get the chuck to grip it properly.

That is to say, not nearly as well as in an SDS.

They don't. Take a close look at the angle of cut. An SDS shatters the work ahead of it. It has no sharp cutting head.

That's why an SDS likes hard materials.

SDS drill bit technology is more advanced. Thats because its the industry standard for drilling concrete and masonry.

Hilti have one specifically designed for cutting through re bar.
And from Bosch you have the X5L.

Though I've put ordinary sds bits through high tensile re-bar many times.
The standard concrete bit for chucking will crumble instantly at the sight of re bar.

You can't really compare the two. Also sds bits come in a vast range of sizes.
I've got a 40mm x 400mm one in the van.

Try chucking that in an ordinary drill up against 35 newton reinforced concrete 400mm thick and see how far you get.
No where most likely.

that's an interesting point

I need to drill a new bolt hole into concrete, where the old bolt snapped off about 50mm in (it's actually a coach screw in plasplug)

I will try to angle slightly to avoid it, but will an ordinary SDS masonry bit go through it if they meet? It's a 10mm hole IIRC.

The X5L might do it.
Though I'd be expecting it to deflect and rip the side off coach screw.

They don't. Take a close look at the angle of cut. An SDS shatters the work ahead of it. It has no sharp cutting head.

That's why an SDS likes hard materials.

Agree 100% - an SDS iWork's in the same way as a chisel - it smashes through the material being drilled and the dust is removes via the flute. "Normal masonry bits cut into the material and the dust is removed the same way. To turn it on its head if you could fit a normal bit into an SDS machine the tungsten tip would fall apart within seconds.

Thanks for all the interesting replies, certainly my old Hitachi 24v with "Elecro pneumatic drilling system" is by far the best drill I have owned. Still going strong after 15 years of graft but the batteries are tired now.

Thanks for all the interesting replies, certainly my old Hitachi 24v with "Elecro pneumatic drilling system" is by far the best drill I have owned. Still going strong after 15 years of graft but the batteries are tired now.

Batteries are easily replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back