Security light install with flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having my soffits done (scaffolding up) and see this as a good chance to get two security lights installed a 20watt and 50watt.

I intend to install 2 x motion pirs cameras outside and use the pre wired bit to an outdoor junction box.

From the junction box I intend to connect to the pre wired (with wagos) and put some black 2.5mm flex through the soffit, (junction box watertight against soffit)
and run 5 metres or so of the flex through the loft connecting to a socket.

I have loads of vacant sockets in my roof (house rewired 4 years ago) which will never be used so after that terminate the flex onto a plug socket (using a 5amp fuse) and plug straight in.

I am aware the tidy option would be to run twin and earth and spurring into one of the boxes but not really comfortable/competent with doing that.

Would the above setup work?
Is 2.5mm flex overkill? will 1.5mm be ok?
Any advantage of t+e over flex here?
Is having wire like this in a loft a bad idea if squirrels/rodents get to it?

thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220710_191023673.jpg
    PXL_20220710_191023673.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
I am currently having my soffits done (scaffolding up) and see this as a good chance to get two security lights installed a 20watt and 50watt.
Odd Wattages ?
Very bright LED or dim incandescent ???

I intend to install 2 x motion pirs cameras outside and use the pre wired bit to an outdoor junction box.
Why not put it inside?

From the junction box I intend to connect to the pre wired (with wagos) and put some black 2.5mm flex through the soffit, (junction box watertight against soffit)
and run 5 metres or so of the flex through the loft connecting to a socket.
Ok. As above - why not inside?

I have loads of vacant sockets in my roof (house rewired 4 years ago) which will never be used so after that terminate the flex onto a plug socket (using a 5amp fuse) and plug straight in.
Ok - We will assume all is satisfactory.

I am aware the tidy option would be to run twin and earth and spurring into one of the boxes but not really comfortable/competent with doing that.
Why would that be tidy?

Would the above setup work?
Yes.

Is 2.5mm flex overkill?
Yes.
will 1.5mm be ok?
1mm² would still be huge for what is required.
Any advantage of t+e over flex here?
No.
Is having wire like this in a loft a bad idea if squirrels/rodents get to it?
It is the squirrels/rodents that are a bad idea.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I would be installing a 20 watt of these on the back and a 50 watt on the front. (both LED PIRS)

Ideally if there is enough pre-wire( generally 0.75 or 1m) I will try to put it into the eaves then use a indoor box to link flexs together.
The eave corners are tight and if I can't get connect them internally then would have to join outside.

Thanks for the advice will run with 1.5mm flex and connect internally to two plugs.
I guess the prospect of rodents biting wires applies over the whole of the loft space!

Is a 5amp fuse sensible here?

thanks

I would be installing a 20 watt of these on the back and a 50 watt on the front. (both LED PIRS)
Ok.

Ideally if there is enough pre-wire( generally 0.75 or 1m) I will try to put it into the eaves then use a indoor box to link flexs together.
The eave corners are tight and if I can't get connect them internally then would have to join outside.
Ok.

Thanks for the advice will run with 1.5mm flex and connect internally to two plugs.
Ok.

I guess the prospect of rodents biting wires applies over the whole of the loft space!
Everywhere.

Is a 5amp fuse sensible here?
Yes, it's fine.

Sponsored Links
Two security lights, 20W and 50W. Total 70W. 0.75mm² flexible cable is rated at 6A, and as you state you will be using a 5A fuse in the plug to connect to the power source, I would suggest this is all you need! However, a 50W LED floodlight is probably as bright as the old 500W Halogen. Do you really need 50W???????

50 watt led is ridiculous...and you will soon have your neighbours on your back,

A 50w led is perfectly ok as long as it’s at high level pointing down and used with a quality pir that is not on and off all night and on for 20 mins …..unfortunately most people buy the all in one units that can’t have the light coverage the same as the pir coverage and vague on times ….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back