Self-moderating tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps it may be an idea to allow a thread creator certain moderator privileges that will allow them to moderate their thread?

I'm not sure of the labour intensiveness required to achieve this but in the long term it may help save moderator's valuable time and energy from being wasted.

The major positives would include: trolling minimised as this is stopped at source, thread content more tailored and specific to the original subject matter (i.e. question being asked), better community spirit as thread's do not need to wait around to be altered by a MOD.

It may create a false sense of discussion if the thread creator has no concerns about fair discussion but this type of person will quickly become known to the community and people will respond most likely by not bothering to post in their thread, robbing them of the feedback they need to self-validate.

Apologies if this may have been asked or addressed before. It is useful to get MOD feedback on issues such as this.

---------------------------
This Mod thinks it would be asking for trouble! Power corrupts... ;)
Mod
---------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Perhaps it may be an idea to allow a thread creator certain moderator privileges that will allow them to moderate their thread?

That would enable them to censor any valid critique that opposed their possibly biased or otherwise inaccurate opinions. So NO

That would enable them to censor any valid critique that opposed their possibly biased or otherwise inaccurate opinions. So NO

Not necessarily? I don't think just because people have the option they will abuse it.

Sponsored Links
It would be abused any disagreement in a post to the original poster could potentionally be deleted. People would be hestitant to post knowing this and kill freedom of speech.

Good idea HawkEye, so in future when someone posts a picture of gassed and murdered people by Nazis and dumped naked into a large pit, and someone posts it on public forums where minors (Children) can also see such content which is inappropriate, it could be removed by thread starter and save Mod a lot of time to get on with other things. Your post could not have come at a better time really. thanks.

It may create a false sense of discussion if the thread creator has no concerns about fair discussion but this type of person will quickly become known to the community and people will respond most likely by not bothering to post in their thread
What about new members who have no history to be known by?

What about the double negative process that can be used when the thread owner can delete posts in his or her threads :-

Mr Positive promotes Hotspot boilers. So he deletes all critism of Hotspot boilers. So much deletion that it becomes obvious he is biased and will not allow any adverse critique of his favoured boiler. Readers soon realise this and start to ignore Mr Positive.

Then Mr Positve gets clever. He creates a new account and logs on as a Mr Negative.

Mr Negative posts saying that Hotspot boilers are rubbish and should be avoided at all costs. Mr Negative then deletes the posts that agree with him ( posts that say Hotspot are bad ) and leaves those that disagree with him ( posts that say Hotspot are good ).

Most readers would not comsider the possibility that someone would post and then delete post that agreed with the original post.

Interesting idea. I've not been that long on this forum but got attacked for asking a question (along the lines of how dare I ask and do this as a DIY option and not line someone else's pockets) and odd snide remarks from one person. It kind of ruined the thread as it ended up well away from the actual issue with me "having" to show what I was doing was legal, approved by my building inspector AND a part P qualified sparky (of course the poster still felt they know better (of course, these things are always caused by faulty ego), plus there is lots more to the situation they don't know about, but why should I explain the detailed set of circumstances and "defend" myself against a troll?) - but put the snideiness (is that a word?) almost me off coming back to the entire forum at all. Asked a mod for assistance but no joy or reply. So perhaps some sort of control of a thread a person started could improve this sort of thing. As it is, it's only some very positive comments from others on another thread that kept me coming back. Perhaps even the option to delete the whole thread that they themselves started at least - that would prevent any sneaky promotion because they would only have the choice of deleting the entire thing, not just negative bits.

There do appear to be a few people that think they "own" the forum. I was heading that way on a classic car forum, started getting a few negative comments and have never been back since. It can become like an addiction and indeed I worry about the mental health of some on here.

Interesting idea. I've not been that long on this forum but got attacked for asking a question (along the lines of how dare I ask and do this as a DIY option and not line someone else's pockets) and odd snide remarks from one person. It kind of ruined the thread as it ended up well away from the actual issue with me "having" to show what I was doing was legal, approved by my building inspector AND a part P qualified sparky (of course the poster still felt they know better (of course, these things are always caused by faulty ego), plus there is lots more to the situation they don't know about, but why should I explain the detailed set of circumstances and "defend" myself against a troll?) - but put the snideiness (is that a word?) almost me off coming back to the entire forum at all. Asked a mod for assistance but no joy or reply. So perhaps some sort of control of a thread a person started could improve this sort of thing. As it is, it's only some very positive comments from others on another thread that kept me coming back. Perhaps even the option to delete the whole thread that they themselves started at least - that would prevent any sneaky promotion because they would only have the choice of deleting the entire thing, not just negative bits.
"Part P" implies an electrical question, and you've only got two topics in that forum.

In neither of them has anything like what you are complaining about here happened.

Are you sure that the problem isn't that you've been inventing stuff, and then, when you find that you don't like what you've invented, deciding to complain and blame other people for what are entirely your inventions?

I'd say no too.

ALthough if the Op was able to mark the thread as "solved" etc. that could then close it would be handy, although chances are they will not return because con constant arguing and bitching tends to scare them off :)

"Part P" implies an electrical question, and you've only got two topics in that forum.

In neither of them has anything like what you are complaining about here happened.

Are you sure that the problem isn't that you've been inventing stuff, and then, when you find that you don't like what you've invented, deciding to complain and blame other people for what are entirely your inventions?

I think that is exactly the trolling attitude I was referring to, so thanks for the illustration. The fact you've followed me here speaks volumes doesn't it. Complete assumptions made from not knowing the full circumstances - but why immediately jump to a negative one about people you don't even know? I had a very specific set of circumstances, which would address/calm your apparent concerns (though why you'd worry so much is a concern and could be a serious issue - quite seriously I'd think about it if I were you) but found myself wondering why on earth I should write out a long explanation of them as if justifying myself to such people. I know what they are and that's enough. You really should take a step back and consider why you'd get so het up about complete strangers who are not doing you any harm, I mean all joking aside, that's not healthy.... and curiously your syntax is exactly the same as the other person... how strange eh? BTW, I won't see any snide replies thanks to the block.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back