Self-moderating tool

I think that is exactly the trolling attitude I was referring to, so thanks for the illustration. The fact you've followed me here speaks volumes doesn't it. Complete assumptions made from not knowing the full circumstances - but why immediately jump to a negative one about people you don't even know? I had a very specific set of circumstances, which would address/calm your apparent concerns (though why you'd worry so much is a concern and could be a serious issue - quite seriously I'd think about it if I were you) but found myself wondering why on earth I should write out a long explanation of them as if justifying myself to such people. I know what they are and that's enough. You really should take a step back and consider why you'd get so het up about complete strangers who are not doing you any harm, I mean all joking aside, that's not healthy.... and curiously your syntax is exactly the same as the other person... how strange eh? BTW, I won't see any snide replies thanks to the block.
Let's see.

My first post in this topic was made on Saturday 28th Jan.

Your first post in it was made on Sunday 29th Jan.

But you think I have followed you here?
rolleyes.gif

When I pointed out that in neither of the topics you had in the Electrical forum have you been "attacked", you decided to accuse me of writing inflammatory, extraneous, off-topic etc things in order to provoke you, or to disrupt the thread.

If you'd like to think about which posts "speak volumes" about people, you should apply some introspection

Sponsored Links
How about a voting system that's public, forum users can only cast a vote to have a post removed, and it needs a certain majority to actually carry out the action. The post should not be removed completely; a gravestone can be left behind. This addresses the positive/negative hotspot issues raised earlier because there is still a visible display of user behaviour, so it's impossible to manipulate a discussion by selective deletion of posts without drawing attention to the list of people who have manipulated a discussion.. People found to operate in gangs to manipulate the voting system can have their voting potency downgraded

Curlewhouse, you'll often get that response from the sparkies. Some of it is well intended and not without merit, as making a hash of a wiring job can kill relatively quickly..
But equally, they do seem to forget that this is a DIY site, theirs isn't the only trade that rewards incompetence with death*, and there is a great inconsistency with how questions are responded to (it's a bit of a lottery as to who gets to your question first, as earlier posts set the tone for later ones and only a few decent members look past it).
Best to use the ignore function liberally with certain inhabitants of the electric forum (who may or may not be qualified sparks), as the ones who jump on the "get a pro spark, you moron" bandwagon (often not qualified sparks, hence have nothing helpful to add, but feel someone died and left them in charge) will consistently do so and offer little helpful input so you don't lose a lot by ignoring them.

*its actually quite easy to come into contact with an exposed live conductor by carrying out the simple action of changing a bayonet or screw lightbulb, never mind removing the ageing pendant to fit a funky metal bar spotlight set

Last edited:
accuse me of writing inflammatory, extraneous, off-topic etc things in order to provoke you, or to disrupt the thread.

Actions of which you've never been guilty of in the history of ever. Veritably.

Sponsored Links
Wooh! Beware the Ides of March!

I think that it's fine as is here. I've been called all sorts of things, and I've probably made stupid comments myself. That's all good. Moderation is a light touch on DIYnot and that's as it should be. It allows all sorts of people with varying personalities (and personality disorders :D) to participate.

If you want to see extreme moderation (bordering on group think) there's a huge US site called Stack Exchange. It's main forum Stack Overflow is world famous for programmers and very good. Most Googled questions on programming issues will redirect there. But try to participate in any of the minor sub sites, like Electrical Engineering and it's a whole different ball game. Unless you know the answer beforehand, you're not really welcome, kinda defeating the point of asking in the first place. It's intensively moderated by people exhibiting a herd mentality. Perhaps I put it a rather strongly, but nevertheless they don't like many (or new) people. Don't take my word for it, Google "stack exchange problems." Don't risk that happening here. Wooh again!

Use it extensively as part of my day job, but like ExpertSexChange.com before it, the gamification and intense rep building irritates me (though not as much as ESC did) so I tend to use it for getting answers rather than giving them (though I try and post one answer every time I post one question) and I agree that community moderation has its flaws.. I no longer use discogs because of one particular high rep community user with significant editing power whom I regard as a complete pillock. It happens with classically moderated forums too though; I quickly fell out of love with ebuild because of he juvenile way two of the moderators behaved and when everything shifted setup to buildhub one of them became an admin so that was another site off my Christmas card list..

Good thing about software, is it can be made optional, even turned off for specific users.. Pat e very least I'd welcome a system to "vote to move" because I get tired of people not reading the sticky in the Your Project and posting short questions like "why is my radiator gurgling" in that blogs forum

Back