sending files between lap top and desktop help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to send files between my desktop and laptop, my desktop has the standard o2 wireless router, and the laptop has the "thingymajig" to recieve the internet from the wireless router etc etc. so the question is, can i use the router to send ordinary data files and folders from my desktop to my laptop and vica versa. and if not what do i need to be able to this........cheers :oops:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip mate, However, i have done what the guide has told me but hoe do i actually send a file to the laptop.........there is no option by right click/send, and there is no wireless icon on my toolbar, BTW i am running windows XP and the laptop is running vista :cry:

Sponsored Links
I just use teamviewer, also lets me send and recieve files from friends and family.

To access files one to other you must first set permissions and you need at least one folder set to share.

The computers both have to be set to use same work group name often either "WORKGROUP" or "MSHOME".

If you go to Control Panel then System you will see a load of tabs and under "Computer Name" You will see the Workgroup: name and the Change button to change name of workgroup.

If you select a folder to exchange data and right click and go to properties you will see "Sharing tag" then under "Network sharing and security" click on "Share this folder on the network".

Both computer don't have to be set up you can allow Lap-Top to access Desk-Top and not vice versa and there are all sorts of security issues far too many to go into but I have given basics.

XP usually has a "shared documents" folder already, which is shared between PC users, and over a network by default.

Be wary of sending large files over wireless, mine frequently "coughs" halfway through, making the received file useless.

Back