service provider& key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiihave jus purchased a reposesion and it has a prepay key meterwhich is £22 indebt, i dont know who provides the electric to the property and whether its down to me to pay off the debt???? also where do you buy the keys from or get them topped up?? any help would be good. thanks

Sponsored Links
whoever provides electric will be whoever you decide to sign up with.. it's your choice..
as for the debt, you'd have to sort that out with them...
they will also provide you with a card if you tell them that the previous owner hasn't left one..

I didn't think that pre-pay meters let you go into debt? just the emergency credit.. ... and that's only a couple of quid per meter..

Speak to the supplier, assuming you have good credit etc they'll probably be happy to replace the pre-pay meter with a credit meter, and if you're really lucky they won't charge you for the privilege...

Sponsored Links
The reason the debt is quite high is due to the standing charge which carries on being deducted from any credit / added to any debt even when the meter has gone past the £5 emergency credit...

I've been to some in the past that have been at £70 or more debt,, the new owner just gets in contact with the supplier and gets the meter reset..

The debt will be the standing charge racking up.

If you prove property was empty the standing charge is usually wiped.

They will provide you a new key (they will need to come to site and program it)

the problem is i dont know which company is the supplier, the house was a reposession

as I said, it doesn't make any difference.. you pick the supplier that you want to supply you and they come and reset the meter ( providing you can prove that it was unocupied.. solicitors letters / bill of sale etc will probably do ), and they'll make a note of the meter number and will likely inform the old supplier that you've switched..

does any1 know what all the display letters mean on the prepay meters, A- B- C- etc

They will provide you a new key (they will need to come to site and program it)
As of this month, you can pick up and program a new key at any Paypoint terminal. They all have stock of blank keys and gas cards. Pop along with your supplier ref #, and they will program it for you. :p

If you are intending to live in this property, get the prepayment meter removed and a normal credit meter fitted.

Prepayment ones cost more, and are normally only fitted where the occupants can't / won't pay the bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back