Shamima Begum Loses Latest Citizenship Appeal

Sponsored Links
The first criteria is the person must not be made stateless by the act of removing their british citizenship.

You could toddle off to fight for Putin or Hamas or any number of nasties, safe in the knowledge that you won’t lose your citizenship if it’s the only one you have.

If you do happen to have another, then the Home Secretary can remove it because he/she thinks it’s for the public good. This is not simply his/her opinion on a whim there are many criteria that are documented.

If you want me to post the relevant law, I’m happy to.

If I could offer a suggestion. You can take both paracetamol and ibuprofen independently. Keep your vitamin C up and caffeine can help you feel better.
You're very kind, bless you.

I can no longer take ibuprofen as it exacerbates my hypertension. But I have got Paracetamol with caffeine, so will switch to that. I'm having honey and lemon too.

You're very kind, bless you.

I can no longer take ibuprofen as it exacerbates my hypertension. But I have got Paracetamol with caffeine, so will switch to that. I'm having honey and lemon too.

There are some very strange viruses going round at the moment. I picked up a cold fairly early in Jan, just about shook it off in the last week but still have a slight cough. I couldn't take any time off because I constantly had an electrician or plumber waiting to move onto their next phase.
For a month it followed a cycle of mon, tues wed coughing badly, runny nose, then thurs fri feeling much better and looking forward to a saturday night at the pub enjoying a couple of pints, then spending most of the weekend in bed.
In fairness, the symptoms weren't extreme, it wasn't like flu, but the general fatigue and malaise and tiredness was like nothing I've ever experienced before in terms of timescale. Hope yours doesn't last too long,

Sponsored Links
Begum didn’t have any other citizenship

She had 'entitlement' to another citizenship, rather like I have 'entitlement' to Irish citizenship. Because of that 'entitlement', legally she couldn't be made stateless.

As for me, well, who'd want to be a paddy.

I feel sorry for the girl who has not killed anyone
The reality is that real Isis volunteers and likely killers have weaved their way back into their council flats in Britain by cunning routes (
cunning meaning via Dover ferry. )

I feel sorry for the girl who has not killed anyone
The reality is that real Isis volunteers and likely killers have weaved their way back into their council flats in Britain by cunning routes (
cunning meaning via Dover ferry. )

Hence my interest in whether we think citizenship should be withdrawn from fighters, or from their wives, husbands and supporters.

She actually did.
I seem to recall Bangladeshi rules allow children born from parents living abroad, who are both Bangladeshi have an automatic right to apply.

If so that means she has the theoretical chance of obtaining citizenship, not that she already has it.
And of course she can’t get it because she is stuck in a country where she apply
And of course Bangladeshi govt have said they would refuse any such application.

Following some further research, it does seem like she might be automatically a Bangladesh citizen although it’s hardly straightforward and the Bangladesh govt. have stated they would refuse citizenship.

“This is so because the laws and regulations relating to citizenship in Bangladesh are scattered across five separate legal instruments: the Citizenship Act, 1951; Bangladesh Citizenship Rules, 1952; the Bangladesh Citizenship (Temporary Provisions) Order, 1972; Bangladesh Citizenship (Temporary Provisions) Rules, 1978; and the Naturalization Act, 1926, as well as multiple Statutory Regulatory Orders (SROs) issued by the Government.”

Last edited:
I seem to recall Bangladeshi rules allow children born from parents living abroad, who are both Bangladeshi have an automatic right to apply.

If so that means she has the theoretical chance of obtaining citizenship, not that she already has it.
And of course she can’t get it because she is stuck in a country where she apply
And of course Bangladeshi govt have said they would refuse any such application.

That was my understanding, like me being born in this fine country to Oirish parents,

No, not to apply, it is automatic. It is why she was found not be stateless when her British citizenship was removed.

"The Commission in G3 (para 70) held that the aforesaid provisions make it manifest that citizenship by descent in Bangladesh arises at birth. This interpretation is also supported by the use of the phrases ‘shall be a citizen of Bangladesh by descent’ and ‘person claiming citizenship by descent’ in Section 5 of the Citizenship Act 1951 and Rule 9 of the Bangladesh Citizenship Rules 1952 respectively. Therefore, a person is automatically a citizen of Bangladesh at birth if either of his or her parents is a Bangladeshi citizen by birth (i.e. was born in Bangladesh)."

The reality is that real Isis volunteers and likely killers have weaved their way back into their council flats in Britain by cunning routes
That’s probably true.

The media have put all the attention on Shamima Begum, but what you say makes sense and shows the media should put their efforts elsewhere

Sponsored Links
Back