Should coppers carry guns?

I tell you what Chappy, your posts are becoming ever increasingly.....er....bizarre!

Er, have actually asked me a sensible question.

You are sounding like Joe. If you get yourself in a hole then blame the question. With Joe it's because it's an impossible question. With noseall it's because it's not a sensible question.

I would not expect to get shot in the back for shoplifting though.

Don't do it in front of a US cop and run way then.

Great story.

No, the great stories are what you get your US cop information from. Starskey and Hutch, Hawaii Five-O and Cagney and Lacey.

I get my real life knowledge from having lived there.

Sponsored Links
Having seen them operating on that coppers TV prog I think arming them would not be a good idea. A lot of them seem to get pretty panicked and overly worked up by fairly innocuous situations and too many of them seem incapable of judging things clearly. Not the qualities you really want in somebody pointing a gun at you.

Not very often of course, because people know they run the risk of being shot in the back. However there are stories all the time of cops who kill people because they ran away. 'Contempt of Cop' is a capital offence in the States.

So back to my original question.

You said.

There are countries on our own continent that routinely arm the rozzers. It certainly makes you think twice about spontaneous crime, when seeing a rozzer with a shiny black, well kept side arm on his hip.

The only way this can be read is the gun stops the crime. The only purpose of a gun is to shoot somebody, and cops will shoot to kill. So do you want a country where we are deterred from commiting a crime because we fear being shot dead?

If you were to argue that cops can protect themselves better then that's another argument, but you didn't make that argument

Sponsored Links
I didn't make any argument.

I made an observation. I saw a rozzer with a gun on his hip and felt that i would think twice about committing a crime in front of him and suggested that others may think the same.

Similar thing when you visit an airport and see our own rozzers with guns.

Whilst i did not say one way or the other whether ALL our rozzers should be armed, i do feel that seeing them armed could be a deterrent.

Yes.

But not always.

Suggestion = argument.

But we got there, a sensible discussion.

Those who think cops should be routinely armed need to contemplate the negatives. It will mean more people being shot dead and a lot of them it will be excessive force.

the cops will lie to cover it up, and the person they killed will remain dead for ever.

Now in the States if you nick something in front of a cop and then run away, there is a good chance he will shoot you in the back, and the copper will get away with it.

Do you want that here?

Yes, why not. Why should groups of scum in our society believe they can make the lives of other members of the same society a living hell. Shoot the ****s, if nothing else it cuts the reoffending rate as does the death penalty.
Miscarriage of justice? how many has there been which would have resulted in the death penalty compared to how many have been murdered by those who have done their 'life' sentence of 10 years or less only to come out and do it all again.
To all the anti police posters on this web site if you can do better theres always the special constabulary that you can join, change policing to your way of doing it, of course for free. Talk the talk walk the walk.

They should be armed to the teeth IMO.
What do we have to lose.

Decent society are losing the battle the way things currently stand.

A few things to thnik about..

why arm the police when most crime is comited when the police arnt there?

an armed police forsce when thers a riot???/ i dont think so !

in the US its a right to own a gun therfor the police need them... here, most peopel wouldnt know what to do with a gun...

Coppers do a good job as they are.

an armed police forsce when thers a riot???/ i dont think so !

Scumbag throws a petrol bomb at police during a riot.............Shoot him.

It's done, finished. No more thieving, rioting and petrol bombing from HIM.

Now in the States if you nick something in front of a cop and then run away, there is a good chance he will shoot you in the back, and the copper will get away with it.

Do you want that here?

Yes,
Including shooting kids?
Why should groups of scum in our society believe they can make the lives of other members of the same society a living hell. Shoot the t**t, if nothing else it cuts the reoffending rate as does the death penalty.
Miscarriage of justice? how many has there been which would have resulted in the death penalty compared to how many have been murdered by those who have done their 'life' sentence of 10 years or less only to come out and do it all again.
It's simple, throw the keys away instead.
To all the anti police posters on this web site if you can do better theres always the special constabulary that you can join, change policing to your way of doing it, of course for free. Talk the talk walk the walk.
Regardless what we think, it's your way or else?

Talk the talk walk the walk.

The police who do just that don't want to be armed. Why not listen to them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19641398

"A 2006 survey of 47,328 Police Federation members found 82% did not want officers to be routinely armed on duty, despite almost half saying their lives had been "in serious jeopardy" during the previous three years.

It is a position shared by the Police Superintendents' Association and the Association of Chief Police Officers"

I'm presuming this is the most up to dsate survey of police opinion, but any police spokesperson I have heard on national or local radio since the murders have said they do not want routine arming of officers.

The death penaly is a different issue, I don't think it is useful to bundle them together. If you favour arming police, then there is more chance of that happening if it is not linked to the death penalty.

Sponsored Links
Back