Should gas fire allow unlit gas through when it’s in between heat settings ?

Sponsored Links
@FiremanT have you seen this thread?

Only just seen it as my NY resolution was to stop wasting so much time in here and facebook.

I suspect strongly that the manufacturer engineer is wrong :eek:. If the burner was cracked, there would be a constant gas smell, if you think about it. It also has nothing to do with the thermocouple - that is doing it's job. And the famous split heat exchangers will not cause this issue,

I have read the earlier posts and a few have got what I thought of straight away. Including Bernie, then he went off an a tangent that I could not be bothered to pursue or translate. I think Gas Guru mentioned cross lighting. These fires have always been able to be run in between settings. The initial light up is on the centre radiant(s), unless the initial light up is too ALL of the radiants, and then the control knob regulates the gas to them all at once. I am guessing this fire is the former. (remember I have been out of fires for years) Each turn to to the DESIGNATED position then brings on the further settings. Where the increase in setting involves bringing on another radiant, the ignition of tthe nect radiant will take place by the use of very small holes in the burner to "cross light". On an older dirty fire, these holes get blocked and cross lighting does not occur, resulting in explosive ignition, and/or a smell as encountered here. The burner will always pass a low volume of gas if the knob is turned on just enough. There will not be enough gas to cross light, and will escape into the room. As someone said, gas stinks and a tiny amount will be noticeable. The passing of gas in that rgard is normal, as far as the valve is concerned.

So, if the Dad was able to use an identical fire succesfully, then the fault probably lies within the gas valve - the notches are not defined enough, thus making it difficult to land on the correct position. This may not be unique to his fire, it may just be a result of generally less well engineered new products. Either that or the cross lighting ports are not big enough, or have been restricted with fluff. If you look carefully with the fire on high you will see these ports burning. If any one TRIES to run the fire with a burner very low, they will be able to, and defective CLP's will cause a smell.

It will be interesting to see if a new fire makes a difference.

What might be happening is that the pilot flame is igniting and heating the thermo-couple and thus the pilot flame is continues to be lit.

Then for some reason the gas in the main burner is not igniting from the pilot flame.

This could happen when the pilot flame is to small to reach the gas coming out of the nearest part of the main burner. This could involve a small transfer jet (or jets ) between the pilot flame and main burner jets.

If the main gas valve is not fully open then the transfer jet(s) may not be getting enough gas to create a flame that propagates to the main burner jets.

Transfer jets ( if used ) ensure the thermo-couple is not over heated by being in the flames of the main combustion area
And what about natural draught know nowt?

Last edited:
My Fathers current gas fire was only fitted during the end of October 2019

The old fire of an identical make and model, was used for over 10 years and we never encountered the smell of gas during its use; it’s because of this, why I believe it’s a fault rather than how my Father is using it.

The smell of gas has only occurred twice and initially; I blamed my Father, telling him he must ensure the fire is not in between heat settings.

It was only after the second incident did it occur to me, it could be a safety issue, which shouldn’t be occurring at all, especially when considering how easy it can be inadvertently achieved.

The engineer did say, if the fire wasn’t new, he would normally remove the burner and clean it, as holes get blocked.

It did appear that the issues was only apparent when the fire was in between heat setting 3 & 4

Sponsored Links
ANOTHER UPDATE.....

Since the Burner and Valve was replaced on the 17th March 20, my Father has used the Fire on a regular basis and without the odour of gas ever occurring.

Yeah, he still has the habit of turning the control knob in between heat settings but now, the very slightest turn beyond the heat setting will ignite the next stage of the burner.

Also, since this Coronavirus lockdown; I’ve had no choice but remain at my Fathers home through out, so I’ve been present when he’s been using the fire.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back