should we apologise for our part in slavery?

Nige F said:
Thermo said:
strange one really. Although we did take a very big part in it, we were also responsible for stopping the trade from africa
because we got India instead........now we`ve got China and the rest for cheap(maybe near slave) labour :rolleyes:

Ha, you're joking, who are going to be the next slaves?

Don't make 'owt,
Dont' grow 'owt,
Can't support our fuel needs.

Oh but we do financial services. Sad thing is you can't eat one or live in a financial service, and they're relatively easy to copy. Besides what is a financial service, merely a smoke and mirror's way of moving money around for stuff that is mined, made or grown.

We're doomed, doomed I say !!

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
we can certainly and should be ashamed of the bad things in our past we certainly arnt personaly responsible
dont think we should have to appologise
Depends how you look at it, it's still going on now with Blair & Bush oil wars and civilians are getting killed daily to give us our way of life, money is the root of all evil. :cry:

And I can't see Blair or Bush ever to apologise for their Iraq war mistakes either.

masona said:
big-all said:
we can certainly and should be ashamed of the bad things in our past we certainly arnt personaly responsible
dont think we should have to appologise
Depends how you look at it, it's still going on now with Blair & Bush oil wars and civilians are getting killed daily to give us our way of life, money is the root of all evil. :cry:

And I can't see Blair or Bush ever to apologise for their Iraq war mistakes either.

i agree entirely i did say" its still happening"
if there was no oil we wouldnt be there

and war is a dictatorship so a form off slavery
the appology question was about the past
the western world has got many an issue to appologise for that indeed i would concider relivent to now
but i am guilty by reluctent assosiation rather than buy direct action :cry:

well, how about we appologize after we get one from rome and the rest of the invaders, we will have one from the scots for being a waste of time :LOL: (i do have scottish family before anyone jumps on that)
we will have one from the cornish, for daring to have their own flag (again, cornish roots, dont even try it) and welsh, because....there just blodey wierd (im quater welsh lucky me :LOL: )

lets have one from germany again so they can join in, lets have one FROM JAPAN for what the basterds of that generation did, and, even try to remove from their history books

urm....like pointed out...we put navy ships out there to help stop the trade....if thats not a gesture then i dont know what is! actions speak louder than words, anyway, the way its going were the country being exploited so, id say its just a big circle, in 100 years time we might be top of the world, or bottom of it, 200 years from that and we might be ruling an empire again, 100 years later and we might not have an earth left

Sponsored Links
with bristol people voting 91.7% against giving an apology.Doesn't that speak for itself,How can they apologise for something that happened 200 years ago...and also why is bristol still going ahead next year and spending £250.000 on the anniversary of abolition.there could be an hidden agenda here,me thinks..

vokera80e said:
with bristol people voting 91.7% against giving an apology.Doesn't that speak for itself,How can they apologise for something that happened 200 years ago...and also why is bristol still going ahead next year and spending £250.000 on the anniversary of abolition.there could be an hidden agenda here,me thinks..

The people who made loadsa dosh, bought the big houses in St Pauls Bristol... Then when things changed the big houses were sold and sold again - run down - then turned into flats and bedsits - there we go the way of most cities .... The legacy remains, in a different guise.
:eek:

anybody that's interested...

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/slavery.htm

Surprised there's nothing about William Wilberforce in there & you being from 'Ull!!!!

The slave trade has always existed even prior to our participation in it - Romans and Greeks had slaves! It even exists today but not on such a scale. We are now a country which has such a cosmopolitan society made up of numerous nations and I like to think as a nation that we abhor slavery.

Yes we did enslave many nations :oops: - BUT we now have a very good reputation against such evils!

If only you would all wake up and smell the coffee.

The life activity of the majority of the working class is increasingly stunted. Reduced to meaninless physical activity, which far from developing and exercising their humanity, reduces them to mere mechanisms. They do not experience the products of their labour as theirown expression or as theirs in any scence. These products belong to a non worker, the capitalist. They must sell their their activity for a wage, which suffices only to keep them alive so that thay may just sustain the whole absurd cycle of their lives. The political economy ( the market place ), which purports to be a sphere of individual freedom, is in fact a sphere of collective slavery to inhuman distructive forces. This was the work of G.W.F.Hegel 1820. As far as I am concerned . No change!!!!

BE HAPPY

to the origional post ..

NO ....

an their generations here would scream NO too ..lol

if we hadnt brought them here ......they would be back in Africa ...

Will anybody be apologising for the white slave trade, which always seems to be forgotten? And which still goes on today in certain parts of the world.

I don't actually know much about it, so I too, am just playing :evil: s advocate.

Fratton sPark
never mind Devil's Advocate ....

playing the tool more like ..lol ..lol :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back