Shower 10mm2 cable

Joined
13 Feb 2025
Messages
255
Reaction score
6
Country
United Kingdom
Have just put 10mm2 live/neutral into a new shower. Realized after the copper pokes out slightly from the screw terminals. If I shove it in further the pvc sheath might get caught under the screw it's difficult to gauge with 10mm2. See attached pic. Is it worth redoing the end copper termination on the live/neutral cables?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260921_113327_825.jpg
    IMG_20260921_113327_825.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 62
You don't look too far off , protruding slightly but probably not worth redoing

It's not at all difficult to gauge ?

Most important is screws tightened up
 
You don't look too far off , protruding slightly but probably not worth redoing

It's not at all difficult to gauge ?

Most important is screws tightened up
Screws are tightened up fine (with a cordless drill very tight).
 
You don't look too far off , protruding slightly but probably not worth redoing

It's not at all difficult to gauge ?

Most important is screws tightened up
I find screw terminals difficult to gauge and end up leaving a bit of copper protruding out (idea being that's safer than the opposite so shoving the PVC under the screw) as I can't see inside the terminal fitting. Also I shove more exposed copper (than the 10mm that is normally recommended) into the screw terminal to make sure there is contact.
 
Tighten by feel with a screwdriver , not cordless.

On gauging length , you might be right.

I probably trim a little if needed. Forgot that.
Typically what's the standard tightness (loose hand tighten + X hard hand tighten) in terminal fittings for copper? Say 1/2 turn hard hand tighten?
 
Typically what's the standard tightness (loose hand tighten + X hard hand tighten) in terminal fittings for copper? Say 1/2 turn hard hand tighten?
I would have thought it depended on whose hand you were using. I have a small torque wrench for if I have any doubt about a terminals tightness
 
I would have thought it depended on whose hand you were using. I have a small torque wrench for if I have any doubt about a terminals tightness
Is the correct torque setting 1-1.5NM? What's a budget torque wrench I can get for screws?
 
I tighten just enough not to snap the head of your terminal screwdriver, although I've never done that :whistle:
Bit of variation in that along with hand strength? Could be anything from barely tight to too right and you'd never know because you cannot see under the screw post tightening
 
What sort of torque wrench should I get for electrical terminals?
This is a typical example: https://armeg.com/products/13-piece-fully-loaded-vde-adjustable-torque-screwdriver/
however it will be of no use for the shower terminals unless the manufacturer specifies what torque they should be tightened to.

Generally only used for terminals within consumer units and on RCBOs, MCBs etc. which have specific torque settings.
They are also supposed to be calibrated every year.
For DIY use, an expensive and unnecessary item.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top