Shower door install advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time DIY bathroom project, so apologies in advance for any stupid questions!

The space for the shower is 120cm wide at the floor, but one of the walls isn’t straight and the width at the ceiling is 15mm smaller. I’m down to the drywall and I’m installing the tray, shower wall panels and then the door (framed). What’s the best way to deal with the wonky wall? I don’t think I can do anything until the tray is in, otherwise it won’t fit. So I guess I can try and make it straight by bringing the panel out somehow at the bottom or alternatively try and fit the door into the wonky rectangle.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In DIY, you botch it. In the building trade, you prepare your background. So plumb your wall and square the corner. Either by using bonding/hard wall and plaster, or dot n dab and plaster. Then install your tray and wall boards.

Thanks. If I plumb the wall though as a first step, I’ll only have a 118.5cm space for a 120cm tray.

Put tray in and square the panels , door frame should be adjustable for width?

Sponsored Links
Door frame should be adjustable to allow for a wonky wall although it all depends if you can live with being able to see how wonky it is

Thanks for this. What would be the best way of going about squaring the panels?

Pop a couple of pics up so people can get a look on best way of doing. Foxhole right about a botch job. You have spent money on tray panels and door so spend a little extra and square it off for a perfect finish.

Here are the pics. The width at the bottom is 1197mm and it’s 1180mm at the top. The wall opposite the pipe looks to be the one that’s not square. I’ve already bought the wall panels and was was planning to cover the whole shower enclosure with them.

Attachments

• 566AE3F3-D83E-4D06-A7BA-3E7805CB98CE.jpeg
    566AE3F3-D83E-4D06-A7BA-3E7805CB98CE.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 264
  • B6C35908-675F-4968-8644-D6689A30564D.jpeg
    B6C35908-675F-4968-8644-D6689A30564D.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 73838781-C444-4C3F-9C8B-7F6E5C3A81A9.jpeg
    73838781-C444-4C3F-9C8B-7F6E5C3A81A9.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 264
  • 8239BC9A-0CAF-4996-9418-F3013A9EF142.jpeg
    8239BC9A-0CAF-4996-9418-F3013A9EF142.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 268
I take it you're not exactly certain which wall is not square?

Are you simply measuring the gap at the top and bottom? If that's the case both walls could be out.

However if both walls are out it could be minor and not worth the hassle of trying to straighten both walls given the work involved.

You need to break out a 6' spirit level and check each wall , chances are the back one is out too

If all walls are out a little , then just pack out the panels to straighten them

Neither wall is straight TBH. The one opposite the shower is worse and it’s not the same the whole way down the wall. The top half is pretty plumb. What would you pack it out with? Some sort of shim?

I’ve also got the added complication of the min adjust on the shower door takes it to 1165mm, so if I make a nice straight 1180mm gap, then after the wall panels are fitted, the gap for the door will be 1158mm. ie it won’t fit!

OP,
as above, there's a few things obviously wrong with your compartment framing -
and with the room plasterboarding and screw fixings -
and maybe with how the shower will work and drain (is the floor solid).
have the dimensions and type of shower enclosure door yet been considered?

not knowing the shower panel details its hard to comment on how they will fit in?
what's the Cu pipe stub for - a WC or a rad?
there doesn't seem to be a shower head - is a hose and spray to be used?
the shower valve seems to be proud?
has all the wet system been tested under pressure?
the top left framing and boxing-in has not worked out.

was the fixture and drainage layout of the bathroom considered before starting work?

OP, i know your a DIY'er and its great that you've had a go but its maybe time for a hard look at what to do next - tinkering with this and that wont fly, it could come back and bite you.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back