Shower pullcord burn out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all.
Can someone tell me why my 10mm cable for my 10.5kw shower is getting warm and burning out my 45amp pullcord switch? This is the second switch both with same results!! :confused:

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It's right on the limit for a 45A switch, so either you're using cheap electrical accessories that just wont take the load, or the connections are too loose.

You need to up that pull cord to 50A (crabtree do one)
Make sure those connections are tighter than a gnats chuff!!!

Unless shower makers have had a sudden attack of the scruples, that 10.5kW will be at 240V, i.e. 43.75A.

Sponsored Links
The Crabtree ones are really good quality. I suggest you fit one of these after cutting back the conductors to undamaged copper.

Leaving the switch on the shower ON and using the isolator as the ON-OFF switch for the shower can also lead to an early demise of the isolator.

Not all isolators are designed to switch on load. This is in the spec sheet for a rotary isolator fitted to a conveyor belt.

Mechanical lifetime
> 100,000 operations

Switching operations
(no load) > 100,000 operations
(20 amps) > 2,000 operations

It may be a good idea to use a 100amp DP isolator in a small din-box, more durable than the pullswitch, provided you can hide it inside an airing cupboard or the like! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Go the whole way and have a 100 amp contactor switching the shower. Operate the contactor by switching the coil with a 6 amp lighting type pull cord switch ( much longer life time than an isolator switch ) and sneak in a timer to release the contactor after a reasonable duration for a shower. This way 15 minute showers can be prevented, saves money and condensation.......Very handy in a house full of women.....

I think it would be much better (although warranty-invalidating) to separate out the supply to the solenoid valve and the supply to the heater can, and have the latter on a timer.

That way the message can be "you can have a shower that's as long as you like, but only the first 10 minutes will be hot".

:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back