Shower switch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower ceiling switch wouldnt turn off so I assumed it had burnt out. I replaced it, but after a couple of uses, the new switch got stuck on.
Here's the odd thing. When I disconnect the new switch it works again. When I wire it back in, it gets stuck on.
Does anyone have any ideas what is going on and how to fix it?

Sponsored Links
photo please of your switch

outside, and the connections too

Thanks for such a quick reply. Here are pics of the new switch. The old switch is virtually identical.

Attachments

• DSCF9481.JPG
    DSCF9481.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCF9482.JPG
    DSCF9482.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 414
the switch looks OK though I don't see the brand.

Do you think it could be mechanical friction? Does it sound like it clicks correctly, and the red indicator flag snaps into place?

If you loosen the fixing screws holding the switch to its backbox (relieving ant twisting or pressure) does that help? The cables for a shower are very thick and stiff and can be difficult to push into place. You need a good deep backbox.

If you loosen the fixing screws for the installed switch, and take a pic showing how the cables are positioned, it may give a clue.

Sponsored Links
I loosened the fixing screws - no joy. The backbox is 2 inches deep, so plenty of space there I think, especially as the cables move quite freely back into the ceiling. There is no click and there is no movement of the indicator. The cord just wont pull once it has been switched on.
Here's a pic of it wired in. The feed is on the right of the picture and the shower is on the left.
By the way - there is no sign of burnining on the original switch.

Attachments

• DSCF9487.JPG
    DSCF9487.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 392
that's the old switch, isn't it? it looks quite dirty.

It looks like it might be the old switch. The new one is different.

I have had an issue with some switches, both plate and pull cord where they are cheaply constructed and if the conductors go too far in to the terminal, they obstruct the switching mechanism. Crazy but true. Trimming them shorter relieves the issue.

You're right - it's the old switch. I had put it back in as the new wasnt making any difference. They both look the same though. I'll try shortening the wires that go in. Thanks.

Thanks Securespark, that has done the trick. I have no idea WHY it worked as I cant see any way in which the length of the conductors could obstruct the switch, but I just pulled one (the shower live wire) out about a mm and the switch is working fine now.
I just wish someone would invent a quiet swicth that doesn't make a massive CLUNK everytime the cord is pulled!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back