Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We just moved into a new house that has a Siemens therm installed on a Glow worm combi boiler. It works fine but I find it really complicated to programme so want to switch to a Hive as the prices are down for 'black Friday' sales.

Before I install I just want to doublecheck the wiring as I struggle to get my head around it.

IMG_20171118_140720134.jpg

There is a link between L and LX on the Siemens as per this wiring diagram:

Screenshot 2017-11-18 at 21.33.08.png

Here is the Hive diagram for reference:

full

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The Hive receiver needs a 230V supply to power it, so that is obtained simply by moving the 230V supply wires from the N & L at the Siemens to the N & L at the Hive receiver.

Then use the link to join the Hive 'Live' terminal (L) to the Hive 'Common' terminal (1)

Finally, the wire presently in the Siemens L1 that goes to the boiler, should connect to the Hive 'Heating on' terminal (3)

EDIT
The wiring diagram you have posted shows only a single wire in 'LX'. However, unless my eyes deceive me, your photo appears to show two wires presently in 'LX'. If that is the case, keep them both together, and transfer them both to the 'Common' terminal (1) of the Hive receiver.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! Yes you're right, LX has two wires.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Sponsored Links
where are these 2 cable flex's going.. I understand 1 is a link back to the boiler, but the other one?

The other cable will be providing the 230V supply. You can pick it up at the most convenient point, either the L & N boiler terminals or directly from the fused spur.

What you have to understand is that there is no fixed way as to where to connect heating system wiring. For example, with some installations the mains supply may go to the boiler first, but with others it may go to the thermostat first. It's all down to the personal preferences of the original installer, any existing wiring if reused and the layout of the various components in the property. What's right for the OP in this case might not be right for you.

cheers.. I figured that out after reading some more.. I'll check out my options, but I know the thermostat option is out of the question unless I can get power up to that area (bigger job)

where are these 2 cable flex's going.. I understand 1 is a link back to the boiler, but the other one?

Here's a picture showing the wire going to the boiler and the other wire going to the 230V supply in case it helps...

IMG_20180105_230422196.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back