siting a boiler near a window that doesn't open?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to this web site so hello to all,
Just a simple question really i'm looking at siting a condensing boiler in my understairs cupboard,now a heating engineer said i'd have to board up the window in the cupboard if i wanted it there(the window is double glazed doesn't open and has never opened its a circle purely for light)
i've read other siting regs etc,i know it's 300mm away from openings such as opening windows,air bricks etc
Is he correct in what he is saying?i really don't want plywood circle or bricking up.i've done the measurements and the flu can come out under the window or 200mm to the side.
I really don't want it siting anywhere else as not much room and i plan for a attic conversion in a few years to come.
Any info would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
if it is a fixed window with no opener then the rules do not apply, as the rule is for open/openable fixtures (windows, doors, vents etc

Sponsored Links
there is a minimum dimension from an opening in the building fabric to a flue (150mm horizonally i THINK) which will include the window frame (in case the seal is broken POC's could get back in to the prop, unlikely but still a dimension that needs to be adhered to)

300mm from any break in the fabric. unopenable window is still a break in the fabric.

Which ever boiler you choose,check the manufacturers instructions
All details of flue siteing are in there and this is what any gas installer has to follow.manufacturers instructions supercede british standards and gas regs and they apply above all else

There are plume management kits available and this can move the harmful pocs away from a particular area so it wont be a big issue installing the boiler where you choose

I can fully understand that you would want light to come on in darkened space and personally would find the easiest way for one to achieve this as well as comply with the regs

If the particuliar installer is not heeding your concerns then you should call someone else in who will be more co-operative to your needs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back