Slave markets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are apparently openly up and running in Libya.

North African migrants are being openly traded according to a report on the BBC radio 4 this after noon.

sounds like big business ? going by the numbers they were quoting ? thousands ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
5a9d8162ad9aa37b46051c00a5451e58.jpg

Don't knock it. Look what happened to Maximus ...... Maximus, Maximus.

thank gods slavery is no longer as great a scourge on humanity as it was when British slave ships replenished the colonies' plantations.

tens of millions of Africans were ripped from their homes and treated as livestock.

It is revolting that vestiges of the trade still linger on.

Why just blame the British. The Egyptians did it, as did the Romans and the Arabs. The Zulus considered every tribe below them to be their possesions, and it was they who did the majority of the slaving of the other tribes, and then sold them to the British. We just transported them to the Americans, and I don't know of any British being slave owners, but I'm sure you'll correct me.

With out the hands on assistance of native Africans there would have been no slave trade they were up to there eye balls in it and made a fortune

millions of slaves were exported from Africa before a white man set foot on the continent ;)

little known fact may be ?

it is estimated that 50.000 people from Cornwall were taken into slavery in the 1500's (?) by raiding parties from Spain . Spain of course waspart invaded /colonised by Arabs/moors .

Was a prog on Radio 4 about the caper .

islamic countries were heavily involved in the slave trade/slavery . still are by all accounts.

Not forgetting the Barbary Slavers from North Africa who were the masters of it for many years - including raids on Cornwall.

But no, that does not fit in with the narrative for some reason.

Whilst it was a practice "of its time", and armchair critics love to have their say, another thing which is forgotten is who put an end to it all.

Loss of the colonies and improved agricultural machinery.

That makes no sense at all. The question was "who put an end to it"

Neither is it correct in any case.

But now the other question are - what "improved agricultural machinery" was there in 1833?
And what colonies were "lost" at that time and by which slave trading nations?

I'll wait for you to feverishly Google. :rolleyes:

He did already, that's why he replied about the why, rather than the who. The British people were instrumental in persuading parliment to ban the British slave trade. But it would have been the land owners and the business's that suffered financially from the loss of the colonies ec, not the ordinary people, so I'm not sure if his argument is a valid one.

Sponsored Links
Back