Smart Meters 'forced' on people?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We hear a lot about people concerned that some suppliers may be trying to 'force' smart meters onto their customers, even if the customers don't want them.

I've just been looking at my online account (with E.ON) and was presented with an offer essentially saying that if I asked them very nicely they might consider offering me the privilege of having a smart meter installed, but went on to add that it was not a foregone conclusion that they would be able to action my request. They say...
For E.ON customers, we'll run a personal eligibility check when you go to book your smart meter appointment to see if we can install a smart meter in your home. Whilst we continue to roll out our smart meters across Great Britain, some restrictions may apply, with smart not available if you just get your gas from us. We'll install your meters subject to:
  • Pre-install checks
  • Safe access to your meters
  • Signal availability
  • Payment method or account status
  • Other temporary metering restrictions
We also hear people worrying about 'remote disconnections', but the last two items on that list seem to suggest that they won't even offer a smart meter to the sort of people who one might imagine would be in the group they might want to be able to disconnect remotely. It also sounds as if they probably won't install a smart meter if there is not an adequate GSM signal at the location.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Have you seen the press adverts which make out that those who are against smart meters are as hard-of-thinking as those who once said that "pictures on the wireless" were ridiculous, and that those who have them installed are visionaries like Mr Selfridge who put Mr Baird's invention in his shop window?

No such forcing from Scottish Power - I've heard rumours they will be the last to comply with the government.

At home meter is outside in a special cupboard and for electric I have a clamp on remote sensor to show usage and for gas only two items and it would be easy enough to work out what they use per hour so work out costs, so no real reason to want a smart meter.

Mothers house the meters are hard to access, and since the boiler is a modulating type, gas wise not a clue what it uses.

However does not really matter how much I use, I only use what is required, so having a smart meter really does not help me. Can't really see the point.

But now looking at father-in-law now we have some one who is in early stages of alzamiers so having some thing which can be read remotely showing when kettle is used and when heating is used is quite handy, it is enough to show us he is at home and doing things, however in spite of having a pair of smart meters fitted we have no access to any info, he has a small unit to show him what he is using which he keeps in the garage, so not really doing much.

I am sure there is a way to see what is being used, but have not found it. So having seen his, it seems there is no point.

Sponsored Links
'Smart' meters... Don't make I laugh. So do you want one 'cause you think you will be able to 'see' how much power you are using? though with a linked internal display I can a see a benefit for people like ericmark in #4 above.
If it is to make the energy companies life easier, do you want to put the meter reader out of a job? And if you don't have GSM coverage you will end up reading the meter for the energy company. My 3-phase supply is on the industrial version of a Smart meter - the Mobile Phone company reduced the GSM coverage last year and now the reading over the 'phone network isn't possible even with the external arial on the meter. Domestic smart meters do not have the capability of external antennas so in my house will not work - my really good (RF wise) mobile phone does not have service availability.

If all they wanted was remote reading, they could have that without any of the other "features".

No such forcing from Scottish Power - I've heard rumours they will be the last to comply with the government.
If E.ON and Scottish Power are doing no 'forcing', I wonder which suppliers are?

It's only about a year since I last had my meter 'routinely' replaced, and they didn't even mention the possibility of my having a smart meter, let alone 'forcing' one on me.

Kind Regards, John

No such forcing from Scottish Power
Not in my experience - having both gas and electricity from them they have sent 2 letters by post and multiple text messages begging to have the things installed. Their website does the same.
I won't be having them, because they can't be installed - the property is one of those with next to no mobile signal at all. It's just about possible to get a signal outside, inside you get nothing. Same on several different networks as well.

Not in my experience - having both gas and electricity from them they have sent 2 letters by post and multiple text messages begging to have the things installed. Their website does the same.
Interesting. Other than on their website, I've heard nothing about smart meters from E.ON - and, as I have illustrated, even their website is doing anything but begging.

As I've just mentioned, I had my meter 'routinely replaced' about a year ago with one which, although not 'smart' in the normal sense, does have provision for installation of an optional GSM module - but the chap who installed it says that they never do (other than with true 'smart meters').
I won't be having them, because they can't be installed - the property is one of those with next to no mobile signal at all. It's just about possible to get a signal outside, inside you get nothing. Same on several different networks as well.
Similar here, other than that we usually get reasonable signals outside. Inside the house, we rarely get a reasonable/reliable signal on any network that has been tried, I suspect at least partially because of the thickness of the walls (many are 18"). I therefore am not sure what they will do if/when they ever do install a smart meter - there are allegedly some "Plan Bs", but I'm not sure that any of them have yet been implemented.

Kind Regards, John

I am with Scottish power and have been bombarded with letters and emails about having smart meters I have not responded to them not had any for over a week now.
The adverts I hear are a joke any fool knows if you put a washing machine and similar it uses a lot of power I mean I have been on planet long enough to know that plus I always take readings every week so no need for a meter to tell me my usage.

Anyway good luck if they want to try and put one in here they will need a warrant lol.

Andy

The adverts I hear are a joke any fool knows if you put a washing machine and similar it uses a lot of power I mean I have been on planet long enough to know that plus I always take readings every week so no need for a meter to tell me my usage.
Indeed - as you imply, the alleged 'benefits' they are trying to use as 'selling points' do seem pretty pathetic.

However, as for the 'sinister' and 'big-brotherish' uses of smart meters which many people seem to fear, I doubt that many of us will be around to see those feared activities come to fruition (if they ever do). As far as I am aware, smart meters alone can probably do nothing much more than provide remote meter readings, remote connection/disconnection (which all suppliers seem to have promised not to do - probably through fears related to the inherent dangers) and perhaps changing the timings of 'different rate registers' in the meter - it is only if/when there is widespread deployment of smart appliances that big brother could show himself to any significant extent - and I'm not convinced that any such appliances (fully compatible with whatever smart meters we will end up with, after deployment of the second generation of them) even yet exist, let alone have come into widespread use!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back