smart meters should you get one ??

Sponsored Links
I have smart meters.

Gas, water, and leccy.

They're sh!t.

Not one of them sends an accurate reading to the utility providers (when I read the meters - which I do, at the start of each month - their estimates are nowhere near the actual figures).

Plus, the module on the water meter obscures the lower half of the numerals on the display :rolleyes:
Which, given that the meter is 2ft down an 8" diameter tube, at the bottom of my drive, makes reading it more an act of poetic licence, than of accuracy :ROFLMAO:

Without them, who is going to know what you use?

That can be done with a dumb meter.

It's the "smart" bit that is not up to snuff, in my experience anyway.

I'm all for progress (and not having to f@rt about in the cold, squinting down a hole in the ground), but it's a cross I currently have to bear (y)

Sponsored Links
Smart or dumb. Does it matter which then? It's still just a meter.

It does for the poor b@stard who gets a stoopid bill.

Don't forget the PO - Computer says NO! - episode. Big corps tend to bill first, then shaft, then drag out any recompense.

It's all fun and games until you're f##ked.

And it might not happen to you, or it might only be a few tenners. Which you can afford, until it's sorted.

On R5L tonight, one old lady - sheltered accommodation, little flat - was billed hundreds of pounds a month. So she changed provider.

Ovo (or was it Octopus?) then billed her £40k, for one month........

She sounded like a sanguine sort, but she did say that all of the faffing and stress had "shortened my life by months".

Another bloke, they overcharged his business.
Took it straight from his business account too.

£250k.

That would sink many a business and, even if rectified pronto, would irreparably damage many more.

Technology is great, IF it works properly.
If it doesn't, it's often worse than not being there at all.

The question really is do you need a smart meter?

I provide readings on the last day of the month and check my bill a few days later to check they have been accepted. I also record these numbers and usage on my pc

Whereas a lot of people don’t know what tariffs they are on, and whether their account is in debit or credit.

The energy companies exploit unsuspecting customers

And as for high unexpected bills, it wouldn’t take much coding to write checks into the billing systems

Some bloke on the radio this morning has got solar leccy panels

He invested in storage batteries 40 kw worth
During the winter months no sun shine he has connected the batteries to the low tariff leccy supply so he charges the batteries up on a cheap tariff than uses the leccy during the day

His monthly bill for leccy was £650 with the batteries it’s )130 ?

Batteries are about 2 grand a pop

( He is a high user )

Smart meters are probably spying on you ? Inbuilt big brother Listening devices ;)

Tuned into key words bomb being one of em

Car goes like a bomb comment next thing you know you will be raided by plod in the early hours

Hand cuffed and Dragged off to the local nick in yer under pants

:ROFLMAO:

Smart or dumb. Does it matter which then? It's still just a meter
An item that is "just a meter" would have no need for a large relay whose contacts link Live In to Live Out.

That relay would be used to turn the supply OFF in a pre-payment meter when the pre-payment has expired.

In a "smart" meter that relay could be remotely operated to enforce load shedding when demand exceeds the power available from the grid.

Tuned into key words bomb being one of em

Car goes like a bomb comment next thing you know you will be raided by plod in the early hours

Hand cuffed and Dragged off to the local nick in yer under pants

Better than having your back doors smashed in :ROFLMAO:

Some bloke on the radio this morning has got solar leccy panels

He invested in storage batteries 40 kw worth
During the winter months no sun shine he has connected the batteries to the low tariff leccy supply so he charges the batteries up on a cheap tariff than uses the leccy during the day

His monthly bill for leccy was £650 with the batteries it’s )130 ?

Batteries are about 2 grand a pop

( He is a high user )
650 quid a month leccy exactly how big is his cannabis farm ?

The gas smart meters were that good they could still register consumption whilst disconnect sitting in the back of my van :cautious:o_O

Sponsored Links
Back