Smart meters - who knew?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m with British Gas for gas & electric. For months they pestered me to get a smart meter and eventually I gave in. That was 4 years ago.

now the “in-home device” (the thing you monitor in your living room or wherever) has stopped working. I contacted BG and to my surprise was told “tough” after a year we don’t replace them! So much for the eco policy of being able to monitor your use at a glance!

I was led to believe this device was part of the meter, not a “while it works gimmick”

Sponsored Links
I’m on my third set of “smart meters” and, I’m booked in to have my fourth set because they don’t talk to the device.
As soon as the engineer is back in his van and out of sight, the whole kit and caboodle gives up the ghost.
They are the biggest pile of excrement ever.

At least they’re replacing yours, I’m told I just can’t have one unless it broke during the 12 month g/tee period.

Sponsored Links
Smart meter installers who get a crash course in gas safety create a lot of work for some

1 mbar drop in the gas test = shut down

bit of a dust stain near a flue = shut down

so on and so forth :ROFLMAO:

They cause chaos

(the thing you monitor in your living room or wherever)
I don't even know (or care) where ours is.
The smart meters themselves are a boon. Every house should have one, then no more cheating or faffing about with readings. Just accurate bills for what you use.

Bring 'em on.(y)

I don't even know (or care) where ours is.
The smart meters themselves are a boon. Every house should have one, then no more cheating or faffing about with readings. Just accurate bills for what you use.

Bring 'em on.(y)

indeed they are, but their marketing is all about monitoring ‘your usage’ at a glance, my point is that if the device you look at to do the monitoring stops working (I just get a black screen, like it’s not on), and they don’t or rather replace or fix it - then the ability to monitor use hits a big fat zero

What do you do if the monitor tells you that you are using what you think is too much electricity?

indeed they are, but their marketing is all about monitoring ‘your usage’ at a glance,
It is?

I was contacted by the energy company and told that they were swapping antiquated meters for digital fellas, in my area. They told me no more need to read you own meter as it sends the reading automatically. No brainer, fit me one NOW. The gadget thing is a side show.

What do you do if the monitor tells you that you are using what you think is too much electricity?
Go around and switch off all those things that people who don't have to pay the bills, leave switched on. Similar to what you did before you had the gadget that tells you what you knew in any case.

At least they’re replacing yours, I’m told I just can’t have one unless it broke during the 12 month g/tee period.
Plenty for sale on eBay if you really want one and can't get it any other way.

I keep getting calls to have one

usual
Spiel meter fitters are in the area
We can come and put one in for you

me

Is it a legal requirement

Them no

good bye than

After my last set of new meters, I got a gas bill and a leccy bill three times my usual. When I phoned to complain, I was asked to give them a reading. I reminded her that I have smart meters and that she was able to do it, she seemed a bit bewildered by that.

Sponsored Links
Back