smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I have 2 smoke alarms do they need their own mcbos and then linked together with 3 core and earth. Me thinks Ive got it wrong with only one feed to the ground floor and then 3 core and earth to the upstairs. They do both go off together but could that just be the batteries supplying the feed when I press the test. Also is it a definate no no to put cooker hood on kitchen light circuit using 1.5 cable and 3 amp switched neon spur ?. It works fine unlike a cypriot developer I know who wired his up in bell wire to cut costs!!!! Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If I have 2 smoke alarms do they need their own mcbos and then linked together with 3 core and earth

Put them on the MCB that feeds the lights. Then if for any reason that MCB trips leaving the alarms without mains the lack of lights will eventually alert you to the loss of power to the alarms before the batteries go flat.

Twin and earth to the first alarms. Triple and earth to inter-link them is correct.

put cooker hood on kitchen light circuit using 1.5 cable and 3 amp switched neon spur ?.

Nothing wrong with that, provided the cable is the correct size (1.5 should be fine for a lighting circuit).
Not really any different from a bathroom extractor fan on the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for advice - That kitchen fan is on the Kitchen lighting on 1.5 but there are 14 50watt mains halogens so 700watts plus the fan and the fan lamps - dont want to go near the 1200 watts so might change them to leds (the original intention) but the 50s lamps came with the fire rated fittings. Was wondering if the leds would give a decent effect , works out pricey if their just a gimmick. Ceiling is only 2.3 so its not as if their in a Victorian house.
Looks like Ive got the smokes right then , someone I know told me they ring back to the board but I couldnt see the point in that.
The job is being inspected by a part P company = 1st fix passed ok = meter cert issued and now connected - 2nd fix inspected but not yet tested - wanted to make sure all is correct before calling them.

Yes, you've wired up the smokes ok. If they're on their own circuit then that's fine too. Decent alarms will warn you if they have lost power.

I wouldn't normally put a hood extractor on a lighting circuit as it can eat into the circuit capacity.

Changing lamps for LEDs may reduce the current used, but from a design point of view this will make absolutely no difference as they can be replaced by 50W lamps at any point.

If you're within the limits of the circuit using the maximum size lamps possible , then you will be ok.

The job is being inspected by a part P company
Eh? The only organisation this (and the following statement about inspection) could legally refer to is building control. Have you notified them, and they are inspecting?

Sorry didnt explain that properly. Yes its being inspected through building control by a company they appoint. Thanks again for replies,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back