Smoking

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
Don't know about lighting fag when driving being dangerous, those cans of Bud with tight ring pulls are a lot harder!

Sponsored Links
fitter said:
Anyone care to comment on the £12 billion ( latest estimate) booze costs this country every year?

Ah yes, but drinking does't effect others around you...

Well until they are so drunkie and punch your nose cos 'you were looking at me funny'

:rolleyes:

david and julie said:
Don't know about lighting fag when driving being dangerous, those cans of Bud with tight ring pulls are a lot harder!

It's not lighting them I find hard, It's rolling them! :eek:

Especially when trying to write a text message... ;)

When I smoked, my worst moment was when I was on the M56 in heavy rush-hour traffic - bout 88 this was, and I dropped a lit fag onto my groin...WOW! Don't recommend that.....in preference to causing a 12 vehicle pile-up I valiantly drove on while my scr*te gently singed.....Ow...

Gives me an idea for a new take on a Beatles song "While my scr*tum gently burned...."

Sponsored Links
I believe the expression is "ouch"! :eek:

True, drinking does cost £12B or so per year. But, remember that our government is pushing for all this European malarky. And they all drink loads. So I am willing to do my bit for european unity by drinking southern european quantities of alcohol.

Of course, they are half our size there, so I am drinking twice as much to make up. :D

But seriously, I think that drinking is often carried to excess: my company has introduced a new sickness policy and not too soon. I know plenty of people who I would go for a drink with on a Wednesday and they wouldn't be in on a Thursday OR a Friday. And quite often too. But the thing is, it is quite easy to drink in moderation and not cause any hassles due to drunken punch-ups or driving.

It is a minority of scum who go out, have a few drinks and try to start a fight with anyone within arm's reach. Really puts a downer on a night out when you have some oaf slurring at you about spilling his pint and/or looking at his girlfriend. Luckily I have managed to avoid any such incidents but it sometimes takes a lot of diplomacy (which usually results in the offending party declaring "yoooo mast be sam carn o' cant or sumfink" :LOL: ).

Gosh, Adam. I thought EVERY employer had a drinking policy (better re-phrase that!!).

I worked for a now-defunct dairy in S Manchester in the late 80's. In 1989, they introduced a policy of no lunchtime drinking. People would come back p*ssed as a f@rt and start filling the UHT semi cartons with mushroom soup. The worst example was a WHOLE artic that went out with pallets of drinking yoghurt inside V8 cartons! Still, it could be worse, I suppose....

AdamW said:
remember that our government is pushing for all this European malarky. And they all drink loads.
All drink in the House of Common are free and the MP do not pay a penny, last year drinking bill was over £3m. Make you sick doesn't it and make you wonder why half of them are always asleep.

Right, I know where I'm stopping off on my next pub crawl!

Drinks in the Commons aren't free, we pay for them! Awfully generous of us, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Smoking; I was sat at a large table in a cafe once, at the diagonally opposite corner was a chap smoking. The smoke came a full 12 feet towards me. We then swopped seats, and yes, the smoke came directly to me again.
I suppose though, if all these choking, lung-bubbling smokers packed it in, and "those on the estate got a job", that wouldn't last long, as those previously employed in the manufacture of the smelly little sticks would now be out of work, therefore the unemployment would be on the up again.
I do hate the smell that lingers on my clothing and hair.
New one for you - I HATE MOBILE PHONES AND THEIR USERS - over to you.

Securespark whistles nervously and looks at the backs of his hands......

I do use them, esp for work, but try not to use them in a place where disturbance may be caused eg restaurants etc...

securespark,

How do you use your mobile phone ? I'm like you HOH with h/aid and get interference buzzing noise from it and this is when my wife is using it away from me, if anyone use the mobile phone near me I have to walk away from it.

Currently awaiting Digi aid from Stockport PCT. Should arrive in time for birth of third child!! Think I'll switch it off and claim I can't hear him/her!!

I don't use my analogue aid at the moment as all my loss is high frequency (both ears) and the unit gives out an audible operational noise (low frequency, which I hear perfectly) which drives me nuts so I haven't worn it for a long time. Tinnitus I HAVE to live with, but voluntarily putting something in your ear that drives you to distraction? No thanks. Have discussed this with audiology dept at local hosp, but the don't seem to think it is a huge problem, although the can't lessen the noise, either. They say most patients have an overall loss, so the noise is outside their range of hearing. Don't find this particularly helpful, but there you are. Roll on November......

Have found lip-reading helps fantastically and our teacher is wonderful - so patient and understanding. She's partially deaf too, although her hosp refuses a hearing aid as her loss is borderline. Crazy!!

The great thing about LR is that you can see what people are saying at Footy matches etc, and in the pub you can watch people over the other side of the bar........

So next time you're out & about, if there's someone watching you talk, you know why!

So the short answer is I don't have any interference with mobiles as I don't use my aid at present.

Is yours digi?

Wonder if HF kit causes same interference. May have to swap for mobile that is HA friendly. Some mfrs do kits to make using a mobile with an aid possible. Not sure of the ins & outs of this though. You done any research?

Forgive me gents, but is this hearing loss due to having worked for a company in a noisy environment ?

I worked for a large eng. company.
Some shop-floor guys were employed in a very noisy area, high pressure pumps etc. They were provided with 'ear defenders' and lots of cautionary notices etc. Some aspects of the job required removal of the defenders.
When their hearing deficiencies were discovered (by the company's own medical dept.), they fought a successful case via 'Amicus' against the company and won well over £10k apiece.
Cautionary notices, the provision of defenders and the existence of health and safety reports highlighting the noise problem proved that the company knew of the potential dangers ..... Twas the fact that nothing more was done to improve the working conditions which sank them.
Note 'white finger' prevalent among metal polishers caused in part by vibration during years of 'stoning' or using grinding wheel to remove excess material from components held by hand .... again, once dangers were known, nothing, in many cases, done to alleviate the problem.
Nothing is easy today, except spending money.

P

securespark said:
Is yours digi?
Yes, (model Phonax)
May have to swap for mobile that is HA friendly. Some mfrs do kits to make using a mobile with an aid possible.
The phone company are not interested in people like me as they want to make money, we are only a small percentage to them.
They are a kits available but you must have the right h/aids type & mobile phone and again nobody want to know or help me and could ended up paying ££££ and none the wiser. Anyway who want mobile phone, we all coped before it was invented :) The only time I would like a mobile phone is, if I broken down in my car as the phone company are now taking 60% phone box out of service as no-one is using it because of high usage of mobile phone, again where does that leave me ? I can only use land-line phone.
pipme said:
Forgive me gents, but is this hearing loss due to having worked for a company in a noisy environment ?
I was born with it, cannot hear at all unless with h/aids, hard work though, to be honest I rather not hear at all as hearing aid do not restore your hearing, all it does is to bring whatever your level of deafness up louder, so I'm still deaf with h/aids with missing sounds and this is what people do not understand.

I do anything to have my hearing back, so you must wear ear defender to protect your hearing to whatever reasonable noise level is, believe me if you lose your hearing, life will never be the same as nobody want to know & don't understand, sadly.

Sponsored Links
Back