So many 'Dont's'!

The health and safety workplace signs are one thing, but I came across this list of demands outside a little independent retail shop in a small town, clearly put there by the proprietors out of choice rather than legislation.
shopwarnings-3896.jpg

I reflected, was the owner of the shop mad or was it the townsfolk? In my contemplation of this quandary I inadvertently left the door open, and it was a very cold day. The lady of the shop, (in truth she was far from ladylike) barged passed me and slammed the door shut and inquired if I was born in a field! - seriously.

I wonder if her list of posted conditions was added to with a "Door must be closed on a cold day"
I was once asked this. My reply was, "No, in a hospital. But I believe I was conceived in a field."
She didn't have a response to that.

No, just a red line drawn on the signing in box, and if you were 5 minutes late they docked you an hour, 15 minutes late and they docked you two hours... No hold on, there really were places like that until the 1975 Employment Act banned such practices
When I started my apprenticeship in 1972 it was;
3 minutes later - docked 15 minutes
15-30 minutes late docked 1 hour
More than 1 hour late - sent home until afternoon shift.
3 minutes late in afternoon - sent home for rest of shift.
Sent home twice in one month and you got 3 days suspension. Unpaid.
Nobody ever had 3 sendings home because it meant instant dismissal.

Upside. If you arrived 15 minutes before the shift every day of the week you got a £5 bonus in your wages, (taxed of course), but £5 was a nice sum in those days. Problem was that apprentices didn't qualify for the bonus; it was impetus enough to make sure you kept your job.

Sponsored Links
There has been a massive reduction in accidents in woodworking as a result of HSE legislation, although it can be pretty onerous.
I know. I used to have a woodworking manufacturing business as well. As a site foreman I have also had to deal with a lot of H&S regulations. For most of this stuff I understand why it exists, and I am happy to have the regulations in place, but I am distinctly leery about the possibility of this stuff being done away with by that moron Rees-Smug and his so called "Brexit Freedoms" bill - I don't see much freedom if you get killed or injured because of the negligent behaviour of your fly by night cheapskate employer (and I'm old enough to have worked in construction when they were seemingly in the majority)

PS Want to add the pallavers you have to go through for dealing with industrial waste? Or the hoo-hah there is if you burn waste in Talbot-type boiler? Or trade vehicle legislation/licensing/insurance? Or gawd knows how many other things you need to know?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, just a red line drawn on the signing in box, and if you were 5 minutes late they docked you an hour, 15 minutes late and they docked you two hours... No hold on, there really were places like that until the 1975 Employment Act banned such practices
I know some places that still apply these sort of rules.
They're.

FFS.
WTF are you on about?

Sponsored Links
HM Forces, a days pay for being up to one hour late and then rising pro rata.

Sign in hospital on the Isle of Sheppey “this door must be closed at all times”. I often wondered why they fitted it instead of just bricking it up.

At my Dads workplace the clocking on ink changed at 7.30 am from black to red for factory floor staff, at 7.45 it changed back to black for the office staff. The payroll clerks just used to check for red ink when making up the wages. If my dad, who worked on the factory floor, was late he would hang around till it changed to black then clock on.

There has been a massive reduction in accidents in woodworking as a result of HSE legislation, although it can be pretty onerous.

as an owner of a joinery shop I required to do these:

every 14 months COSHH testing of dust extraction
every 12 months testing of compressed air system
every 12 months forklift testing
every 12 months heater test
every 3 years forklift driving license
every 5 years fixed electrical installation test
fire safety report
DSEAR report (fire and explosion)
control of noise report
asbestos management plan
health and safety plan
first aider training

A lot of stuff for a company employing under 10 staff.

BUT: if it’s not legislation , business owners would never get around to it.

And not a sign in sight (y)

I must put a sign on my workshop door:

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Would that cover everything?

Definitely not. Apart from my proctologist's finger, my bum has never had anything going the wrong way up that one-way street!

At my Dads workplace the clocking on ink changed at 7.30 am from black to red
We had that system where I did my apprenticeship but it went red at 8.06 and you were docked a quarter of an hour. Anyone that arrived late waited in the tea room until 8.15!

Definitely not. Apart from my proctologist's finger, my bum has never had anything going the wrong way up that one-way street!
Theres time yet, that's how I started, then Proctoscope, then full on camcorder.

We had that system where I did my apprenticeship but it went red at 8.06 and you were docked a quarter of an hour. Anyone that arrived late waited in the tea room until 8.15!
My first employment had a similar system, if you went past 15 minutes the clock cards were removed & you were handed a late slip which had to be signed by the Head Foreman, his office was a good half-hour walk from our workshop, longer on a sunny day, never understood the logic.

Sponsored Links
Back