Soaked chipboard roof and MDF stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New here. We are having a loft conversion done and company has failed time and again to waterproof the roof, so we are now experiencing the 4th rain leak in 5 weeks.

As a result, one of the chipboard roof panels (where it leaked every single time) has been soaked through and through, and I am concerned about its integrity. Should we ask for it to be replaced?

Second issue, the MDF staircase. Despite our best efforts with buckets and boxes several steps have also been soaked repeatedly. What's the risk with these? Certainly the company will say it's OK, as it would cost them a fortune to replace the staircase but is it really OK?

Any advice much appreciated, as we are extremely angry and concerned.

Sponsored Links
Me, I'd be wanting it all replaced. the chipboard panel will now not be as structurally sound as it should be, if it is evident of it having soaked up water then demand it's replacement.

The same for the stairs, if they show any signs of having soaked up water then they need replacing too as it will weaken the structure and can reduce its lifetime & possibly cause failure in the future.

Your right to be angry and concerned, channel that into constructive talks with the company regard replacing, I'd not be paying them until it has been sorted to my satisfaction.
Get quotes from another company on rectifying the work and keep that amount back.

People use chipboard for roofing? Jesus wept.

Both chipboard and MDF, once expanded as a result of water, are pretty much toast.

They will never shrink back to their original dimensions. And as Mattylad says, they will lose some of their integral strength.

Did the builder offer you the opportunity to use products that are fit for the job in hand or did you specify a product that is wholly inappropriate?

I wish you luck. If a builder told me that he was going to use such products, I would look for a new builder. Sorry, that doesn't help you but IMO any product that will fail as soon as it gets wet (read: soaked when it rains) should not be used, period.

I don't want to malign your builder, maybe he gave you the better but more expensive option, nevertheless, there are a lot of crap tradesmen out there.

they have actually used osb the op didnt realize thought it was some sort off chipboard(y)
[comments on another forum]

Sponsored Links
People use chipboard for roofing? Jesus wept.

Both chipboard and MDF, once expanded as a result of water, are pretty much toast.

They will never shrink back to their original dimensions. And as Mattylad says, they will lose some of their integral strength.

Did the builder offer you the opportunity to use products that are fit for the job in hand or did you specify a product that is wholly inappropriate?

I wish you luck. If a builder told me that he was going to use such products, I would look for a new builder. Sorry, that doesn't help you but IMO any product that will fail as soon as it gets wet (read: soaked when it rains) should not be used, period.

I don't want to malign your builder, maybe he gave you the better but more expensive option, nevertheless, there are a lot of crap tradesmen out there.

As big-all mentioned, it was sterling board rather than chipboard, my bad.

All the same, we had no input whatsoever in what/how, which is one of the (many other) sticking points; even when consulted and agreed, they still used different materials (i.e. different colour roof tiles) - communication with the company has been a nightmare since day 1. We did almost implicitly trust them as the director is a carpenter by trade and had good reviews, but have at least partly come to regret this.

Thanks all for the messages, I am a little less concerned about the roof, still will keep a keen eye on the MDF staircase (again, material neither specified in quote nor discussed - and in my ignorance I assumed steps to be made of pine or ply) as it had a fair amount of water on it.

OSB3 is pretty waterproof.

I build orangeries and its almost impossible to stop the osb getting wet before the grp is laid. But the OSB is fine.

Do you mean the job is finished and leaks, or it is in progress and not weathertight....

We did almost implicitly trust them as the director is a carpenter by trade and had good reviews, but have at least partly come to regret this.

Ahh, you used one of those Rated People sites?

My GF recently gave £2800 as a deposit to someone she found on RatedPeople. The scumbag simply took the money and ran. RP didn't give a toss. Sorry, not directly related to your case but few customers realise that tradesmen can hide some negative reviews.

Unfortunately. Did ask high and low for recommendations, but could not find any. We used my builder, which seems to have all negative reviews on it. Anyway, fingers crossed we should only be 2-3 weeks away now. And paying at set points (and will definitely dock some money for the continued stress of running around with buckets and boxes...)

OSB3 is pretty waterproof.

I build orangeries and its almost impossible to stop the osb getting wet before the grp is laid. But the OSB is fine.

Do you mean the job is finished and leaks, or it is in progress and not weathertight....

It's in progress and not watertight. Happened every single time it rained, and every time we were told it was sorted... They now put a large tarpaulin over the top of the whole roof :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back