Socket connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to double check if the connection that I have done is ok. Please have a look at the images below. My concern is the diagram have to earth cable going out, which I don’t understand. Would appreciate if someone could advise.
62212BEF-E6D8-4F2A-8865-E43D4876D122.jpeg
55D6C3B9-E713-49FC-A9AD-CC561420BC53.jpeg
70531AA0-6486-485A-84D8-10DED5F6EC27.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You don’t need that green wire from the socket to the plastic back box. Plastic does not conduct electricity.

Sponsored Links
What is? Earthing plastic? Even if it was metal the flylead is not required if one of the lugs is fixed.
There are differences of opinion on this matter, personally for me if it's all metal I will add the additional wire betwix socket and box. It usually costs nothing apart from a few seconds of time.

I've always known a clean earth to be independant of the usual protective earth. Suitable sockets will have 2 earth connexions, one on the frontplate/screw holes and the other on the earth pins of the socket.

Likewise functional earth is where a current is deliberately passed in the earth wire. As an example (but not strictly applicable to a 13A socket a shared service telephone line where the ringing current was on one wire and to earth).

I don't know if these terms have lost their way in life like so many other terms.

As wired it's entirely pointless, the connection to the terminal in the plastic box achieves nothing.

That type of plastic box is not intended to be recessed in the wall, a metal box should be used for that, and that should have a connection to the earth terminal in the box.

As wired it's entirely pointless, the connection to the terminal in the plastic box achieves nothing.
I cannot agree more, however for people who come on here asking for advice like this, I will say (as I did before) it is a good habit to get into.

That way when a
... a metal box ... used... and that should have a connection to the earth terminal in the box.
will be second nature

That type of plastic box is not intended to be recessed in the wall, a metal box should be used for that....

Whilst I don't disagree, the house I grew up in the 1980s (ex Council House) had all the sockets & light switches installed like that - plastic box fastened directly to brick & semi plastered in.

Whilst I don't disagree, the house I grew up in the 1980s (ex Council House) had all the sockets & light switches installed like that - plastic box fastened directly to brick & semi plastered in.
I have also known whole houses installed this way. I imagine they had been surface mounted and buried at a later date.

I've always known a clean earth to be independant of the usual protective earth. Suitable sockets will have 2 earth connexions, one on the frontplate/screw holes and the other on the earth pins of the socket.

Same here. The clean earth and CPC were NOT connected together when the equipment required a clean earth.

MK produced a socket which could be used without a clean earth or by cutting a link it could provide clean earth to the socket's Earths

mk clean earth.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back