Socket from hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2ADEA3AD-141D-480B-AA73-CA31800C3A33.jpeg
C0BB5B75-48D7-4DEA-853A-B976A63260F8.jpeg
Just laid my new floor and the socket as seen below has broken. Plugs just wiggle about and get a tiny bit of power as they wiggle.

image.jpg

its so tight when isolated I doubt I could screw a new socket front on it.

so, I have a panel next to it which will be an absolute bugger to get off.

Not sure how to solve this, if any of you have any ideas we would appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
You need to establish which direction the cable for it comes from, then make a hole, get of the cable, and pull, so you can gain some workable slack.

Once you have this slack, you can either move the socket, or extend the cable.

Consider fitting the new socket to the inside of the cupboard, not to the wall.

You need to establish which direction the cable for it comes from, then make a hole, get of the cable, and pull, so you can gain some workable slack.

Once you have this slack, you can either move the socket, or extend the cable.

Consider fitting the new socket to the inside of the cupboard, not to the wall.

what if it’s on a ring? I might not have the slack.

Just another thing, I can access underneath as this is under the coal bunker

Sponsored Links
I think you're going to have to remove the beige hardboard in front of the socket. You could turn off the power and remove both screws and pull the socket away from the box that may help us to determine what best course of action to take

Cut the back of the cabinet out, or a portion of it, with a multitool. This can be refitted later. You should then have enough space to do whatever you need to do.

Cut the back of the cabinet out, or a portion of it, with a multitool. This can be refitted later. You should then have enough space to do whatever you need to do.

Yup.

Violence followed by a bit of new hardboard and fettling after repair.

You might need to remove the cupboard completely though.

Well i would move that socket anyway.No way should it be under sink where there is a risk of water from sink getting into it.electric and water do not mix.Why was it there in first place?

Well i would move that socket anyway.No way should it be under sink where there is a risk of water from sink getting into it.electric and water do not mix.Why was it there in first place?
Nothing unusual or wrong with having a socket under a sink.

Perhaps the socket was there first.
If so, would you insist the sink should be moved?

electric and water do not mix
Best get rid of all electrical items from the kitchen then, lighting included. And bathrooms. And all outside lighting, anything in a garage, shed, garden, and make sure all new electrical appliances only have a 10cm long power cord so they can't possibly be used anywhere near water ever. Extension leads obviously banned, street lighting must be eliminated, along with electric vehicles, electric railways, caravans, petrol stations and the rest.

My dad is a former spark who changed career aged 40 due to health, so he quit in about 1990 but he was absolutely horrified there was a socket there.

thing is, the socket has been there happily not electrocuting anyone for about 10 years.

I genuinely couldn’t afford to rip my kitchen apart.

it was so difficult to work on we ended up not using the back box and put some board into the wall and put a socket on the board. It’s still 9 inches back from the sink waste.

we will get a new kitchen eventually so will sort it out then.

While under a sink isn't an ideal location, i'm not convinced it's that much higher risk than elsewhere in a kitchen. Especially as the socket is at a higher level than most of the plumbing.

The place I really wouldn't want a socket in the kitchen is on the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back