Socket switches don't do anything!

Oh. do you mean the wire holes, as above they can vary and depending on slack on wires unfortunately ocasionally they dont always reach the new locations, though Mk sockets they are nearer the centre and almost always will be fine

Sponsored Links
Oh. do you mean the wire holes, as above they can vary and depending on slack on wires unfortunately ocasionally they dont always reach the new locations, though Mk sockets they are nearer the centre and almost always will be fine
No, I meant the fixing holes that attach the socket to the back box. Incidentally, the 'back box' isn't the usual metal thing that's inserted into the wall; it's plastic and is attached to the back of a cupboard. If I remember correctly, the mains cable hangs down behind the cupboard so, unless it's completely taut, I imagine there will be plenty of slack to make connecting quite easy.
I hope!

The new socket arrived today...
but I haven't fixed it.

I took out a shelf in preparation for removing the old one and tested it with one of those Fluke Voltalert pens that everybody on here hates, and...
found that the switches work properly!

Nevertheless, I took off the existing socket just to check that the wires were all fastened securely and that there was no sign of any burning or melting.
It seems that the rechargeable vacuum cleaner lamp remains lit for several seconds after the power is disconnected and, no, I hadn't checked it with another appliance or lamp. Doh!

Yes, I know. A word beginning with W and ending in R.

That's £5.49 I wasted.
Anyone want to buy a brand new MK double socket, reduced at £5.48?

It seems that the rechargeable vacuum cleaner lamp remains lit for several seconds after the power is disconnected and, no, I hadn't checked it with another appliance or lamp. Doh!
Ah! :)

Kind Regard, John

Sponsored Links
Look at it this way. I could have pretended that I fixed it, but I'm too honest for my own good.
Honest John, that's me!

I had this issue with a 2 way light switch. Spent ages pulling my hair out trying to work out what I had wired wrong. It was a cheap jobby from Wilco. I have now learned to test everything out of the packet before installing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back