A simple issue with new socket switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

several months ago, we brought a new double socket as we had problems with the older one, can’t remember what though, anyway, we installed the socket, I did this, and had it double checked over, all my wiring was correct, but the right socket didn’t like being in use, the election couldn’t work it out, but replaced it and have had no problems sinc.

I have brought a new socket that I am using as a spur, all wired correctly, not checked out by election yet, and now I am having the same issues as before, but as only 1 plug is going into it for now, I tried the other socket, same problem. So I have spoken to the guys from the store I brought it from and they said they were unsure why but I can bring the socket in for a full refund or switch it for a different socket.

this is bringing us to now, I take socket off the wall, and I noticed the plate has a slight curve at the bottom, so I plug I think it was a usb plug, and it is flat against the plate, however I plug the plug that I tried before and there is an obvious huge gap between the plate and the plug. I have tested other plugs around the house, including the item that was plugged into the old socket as mentioned above (it’s a tumble dryer) I never tried using the left socket as it had a fridge plugged into it. However this plug didn’t sit flat in the socket too.

as the socket works with other plugs, just fine, but the item I plugged into and the tumble dryer won’t sit flush, do I change the socket, or just change the plugs??

pictures are below shows flush and gap.

IMG_0149.jpeg
IMG_0154.jpeg

Sponsored Links
is that a click socket? i have those sockets and have just tried several plugs in one and all plugs sit flush so it could be a plug problem rather than a socket problem. can you do pics of that plug and in particular the sleeving on the pins

I don't see what the problem is.

I am not an electrician though.

So, the socket works normally with some 10-15 items I plugged in, except this socket won’t power on unless I push hard on the plug. Where I will have a mitre saw plugged into it, having to push the plug in isn’t ideal. I was wondering do I replace the socket, or do I replace the plug?

No idea why, but an old Apple 5w usb plug is the same, the newer ones works and sits as normal, I have obviously disconnected it, and went around the house (as much as my leg will allow) and tested some 10-15 other devices plugs, from TV’s, sky boxes, usb chargers, lamps, irons, other tools, and many kitchen appliances. I haven’t fully checked if everything works with power, but the ones I did check (using a spare plastic back box for safety) all works as normal.

According to the manual of the mitre saw, removing or replacing the plug voids the warranty, which only has some 5 months left…

is that a click socket? i have those sockets and have just tried several plugs in one and all plugs sit flush so it could be a plug problem rather than a socket problem. can you do pics of that plug and in particular the sleeving on the pins

I took a couple of pictures of the plug from underneath. It clearly shows the gap.

IMG_0157.jpeg

That surely can’t be safe. So unknown what to do here? Having the electrician out in December to sign off on the wiring I have done, and get him to connect the wiring up the end I would never touch, the RCd fuse board area.

Sponsored Links
Is it an optical illusion? It looks like I can see the metal pins on the plug. The only parts of the pins that should be visible should be the plastic parts.

I am not sure that cutting off a plug (legally) invalidates a warranty. Nevertheless, why not use one of those trailing gang socket bars and plug the questionable plugs in to them and see what happens.

Might it be the case that you are not pushing the plugs in fully because the socket is not physically attached to the wall? I have some plugs that need a slight whack to drive them in properly.

Is it an optical illusion? It looks like I can see the metal pins on the plug. The only parts of the pins that should be visible should be the plastic parts.
Do we know for sure that there are 'plastic parts' of the pins?

We can certainly see some bits of the pins, and they certainly look like metal, but I can't see how this could be an optical illusion (unless 'the illusion' is making plastic look like metal) - what sort of illusion did you have in mind?

Kind Regards, John

Do we know for sure that there are 'plastic parts' of the pins?

We can certainly see some bits of the pins, and they certainly look like metal, but I can't see how this could be an optical illusion (unless 'the illusion' is making plastic look like metal) - what sort of illusion did you have in mind?

Kind Regards, John

Based on my post, it should be obvious that I was suggesting that both the live and neutral should have plastic sleeves. The OP had a Wickes tool, I think it unlikely that Wickes would knowingly sell a non compliant product.

Based on my post, it should be obvious that I was suggesting that both the live and neutral should have plastic sleeves. The OP had a Wickes tool, I think it unlikely that Wickes would knowingly sell a non compliant product.
Yes, your point was obvious, but that doesn't alter my "Are we sure...?' question, unless I've missed a mention about the age of the Wickes tool.

I have at least one Wickes power tool still in service whose plug does not have plastic sleeved/shrouded pins (which I suppose says a fair bit about the long-term survival of both the tool and the plug :) ).

Kind Regards, John

So, the manual says…

power cord… if the replacement of the supply cord is necessary this has to be done by the manufacturer…

basically if I change the whole power cord it voids the warranty - this I understand.

however the next section says,

UK PLUG
replacement of the plug shall always be carried out by the manufacturer of the tool… this product does not contain any parts that can be repaired by the consumer… any repairs attempted by anyone other than the manufacturer voids…

so much useless info here.

the plug is all metal if I can remember I will try and get a picture.

so, should I just replace the plug?

i have put the socket installed both in the shed, indoors kitchen and my living room, with the saw, and won’t work, but does in the other sockets, but every item I tried works in the sockets… Except the old Apple usb one.

Chop old plug off
Smash old plug so it can't be used.
Fit a new plug.

Warranty is not affected.
Socket is unrelated.

I recall cases where TV manufacturers tried using the same line- "cut the plug off and you invalidate the warranty". IIRC, the courts slapped them down.

I recall cases where TV manufacturers tried using the same line- "cut the plug off and you invalidate the warranty".
Yes, they sometimes try that one, and anything else they can think of, but, as you go on to say ...
IIRC, the courts slapped them down.
... and reminding them of that might possibly change their tune (but I wouldn't hold my breath!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back