Socket switches don't do anything!

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our kitchen refitted several months ago and I have just noticed that a double socket functions whether the switches are turned on or off!

It's not a big problem as I tend to just plug and unplug items when they are to be used or not.

It is, however, intriguing. The socket is brand new, or at least I assume it is as it certainly looks unused and the electrician seems to have done a good job elsewhere.

Can anyone suggest the possible cause, please?

Sponsored Links
Only one 'possible cause', really - a faulty socket (well, faulty switches within it) - from what you say possibly a fault that has been present 'from birth'.

Kind Regards, John
Of course. I can live with that, as long as it's safe!

I would get your electrician back to replace it. A switched socket should switch on and off. You never know who might use that socket further down the line.

Sponsored Links
A switch that has failed and is permanently ON may overheat and become a fire risk if a large load ( kettle, toaster etc ) is plugged in the socket.

The switch contacts may not be properly closed and thus they could be unable to carry current without generating heat at the contacts

Thanks. Some useful replies. I'll have a look at it and perhaps replace it, preferably with a non-switched socket as I never use the switches.

It's such a fundamental fault that one cannot be sure what else may be wrong, so could not guarantee that it's safe - it might, for example, be at risk of overheating with heavy loads.

As has been said, I think you should have it replaced.

Kind Regards, John

Probably a socket made by BG as thats a common fault with them (for me anyway), lost count of the number of faulty BG sockets I've found.

One thing not mentioned, someone from outside your family, (contractor, relative etc), may be there to have a look at something and you forget to tell them the switch doesn't work. You go and make them a cuppa, (as all good customers do on arrival ;) ), and they simply switch off at the socket and assume it's dead. (Yes I know they should unplug where possible and test for dead etc where they can't remove a plug.)
You come back with their cup of tea/coffee to find them laid out on your floor.
I'd get them changed ASAP to be honest KBR.

OOI, what brand are they, JB?
I can't see a brand, SS!

At present, it is only used to recharge a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner, so I don't think there is any immediate urgency. However, I will replace it.

Now I've spoken to 'Marge' about it, I find that it was done when the kitchen was done up over two years ago, so I'll be happy to do it myself.

I recently changed a socket that was jammed on, when dismantled all the plastic was melted around the switch and one bit completely burnt off, thus jamming it totally, in this case though the switch did not move at all.
I too would get it replaced.

I've found one on Amazon - MK of course, wouldn't buy any old product!
I'll have to order it tomorrow as we're out tomorrow and, being on Prime, they'll deliver it the next day.
At least delivery is free.

I'm assuming that the screw hole locations are pretty standard!

Fixing holes are pretty standard across the board, However the terminals can vary in position depending on brand.

yes screws are standard spacing, though boxes older than over 30 years are imperial thread, so mostly unlikely youd have them, if you did then reuse the existing screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back