Sockets in a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any reason why I can't mount a twin 13a socket in a ceiling (as opposed to a wall)?

I know it sounds odd, but I have my reasons...

Sponsored Links
Is there any reason why I can't mount a twin 13a socket in a ceiling (as opposed to a wall)?

I know it sounds odd, but I have my reasons...
No issues - when properly fused ideal for connecting to electric garage doors.

Because the weight of the plug can cause it to pull out and may cause poor connection, unless the plug and socket is desighned for it

Because the weight of the plug can cause it to pull out and may cause poor connection, unless the plug and socket is desighned for it

Thanks. That had crossed my mind. The plug will be out of the way and if it falls out no great damage (and the cable will be cleated to a nearby wall for good measure). And it's out of reach of kids (so no little fingers around a partially plugged socket). I think I can live with that.

Sponsored Links
I can think of at least 2 simple ways of holding the plugs in place without the need to modify anything.
They may not look pretty but would work

Bit of all round band would do the trick, but it's not something I've ever encountered, and I've seen a lot of ceiling mounted sockets.

If the flex is to be cleated this suggests you could use a 13 amp switched fused spur instead of a socket.

If the flex is to be cleated this suggests you could use a 13 amp switched fused spur instead of a socket.

Yes, could do, but it's a TV. By 'cleated' I was thinking of a single cable clip on the wall before it plugs in! The rest would be behind the set itself and woudn't droop. Could plumb it in permanently but don't really want to.

or use an electrak socket designed for the job

You mean the kind of twisty things? Kind of like these. When I was in Dubai, we wired up our office with a similar thing where you could shove sockets into a kind of trunking wherever you like.

But for a one off socket for a simple connection I think it might be overkill, but I'll have a look at costs. It appeals to the innovator in me!

Why do you want a socket on the ceiling for a tv ?

It won't look very good.

Long story... but ok...

The LCD TV will be mounted on a chimney breast above a (non-working) fireplace which looks nice. There is a substantial beam running along the ceiling in front of the fireplace, so from most parts of the room, you can just see the whole TV screen but nothing above it as it is obscured by the beam

I want the TV to work so need power, coax and satellite feeds to it. I can get all of them in from the loft above but don't want to flush mount on the chimney breast (ancient heavily fired stone) or surface mount (messy, requires holes, damages original building fabric).

So putting the services in the non-original plasterboard ceiling makes sense.

Cables will route up vertically from back of TV and plug into ceiling. From any normal viewing angle you'll see the screen, but the wiring and socketry will be obscured by the beam. Only when you are close (about 3 foot from the TV and looking up) would you see the plugs.

Hope that explains my madness!!

Just about every school classroom will have a ceiling mounted socket, never seen or heard of any related problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back