Sockets in a ceiling

Sponsored Links
If there is still a concern about a socket on the ceiling, you could use a switched fused spur with a 1.5 mm 3 core flex going to a single extension lead socket, then plug tv to this.

I'm sure supermarkets used to have sockets on the ceiling above the tills, don't suppose they had problems.

Plugs are pretty light and BS1363 sockets are pretty stiff so I wouldn't imagine looseness to be a problem as long as the cable is properly supported and not pulling on the sockets. I've seen it done in loads of projector installations in commercial premises.

Having said that I think it would look tacky as hell in a domestic environment

Personally i'd just wire it into a FCU. Most flatscreen TVs use IEC leads anyway so you will still be able to remove the TV without unwiring anything.

or use an electrak socket designed for the job

You mean the kind of twisty things? Kind of like these. When I was in Dubai, we wired up our office with a similar thing where you could shove sockets into a kind of trunking wherever you like.

But for a one off socket for a simple connection I think it might be overkill, but I'll have a look at costs. It appeals to the innovator in me!

yep the "twisty things"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Safety-Cr..._Equipment_Instruments_ET&hash=item2317d5a30c

plugs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/electrak-...ls_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item45fdd7abbc

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
cannot undersand what the issue is about a ceiling mounted socket whether single or twin.once plugged in properly will not come loose unless you have a lot of vibration.will not arc.just go for it

cannot undersand what the issue is about a ceiling mounted socket whether single or twin.once plugged in properly will not come loose unless you have a lot of vibration.will not arc.just go for it
That's certainly the common sense view of this issue. However, for those with more formal minds/concerns, does anyone know whether BS1363 has anything to say about this?

Kind Regards, John.

hi john.bs1363 is more to do with legal and illegal sockets ie insullgated earth pins etc.nothing to do with socket positioning.nothing in regs against ceiling mounted sockets.would strongly be against fsu though

hi john.bs1363 is more to do with legal and illegal sockets ie insullgated earth pins etc.nothing to do with socket positioning.
It's obviously primarily to do with specifications of the plugs and sockets - including temperature rise in use (which will presumably depend on orientation) and, I imagine, pin retention. If you're certain that it contains nothing about orientation of installation then fair enough, but it would not be unthinkable that it might mention such things.

nothing in regs against ceiling mounted sockets.
Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything directly relevant in the regs either - unless, of course, the manufacturer's instructions advise against ceiling installation.

hi would strongly be against fsu though
Do you mean FCU? If so, why would you be strongly against it?

Kind Regards, John.

I've seen thousands of sockets in ceilings, whether it be in educational establishments for projectors, shopping centers for POS and xmas lights, theatres for theatre lighting and countless others too, and have never seen or heard of an issue with any of them.

There is absoloutly nothing to discuss or debate here. It's fine to put a socket on a ceiling.

fused connection or fused switched unit.same thing.would not fancy hard wiring television unit.new televisions come with kettle lead connections.to disconnect for whatever reason some people will unplug from the tv still leaving the lead live

would not fancy hard wiring television unit.new televisions come with kettle lead connections.to disconnect for whatever reason some people will unplug from the tv still leaving the lead live
Fair enough, but that's not any different from the situation when any IEC lead is unplugged from the load whilst still plugged into a power socket.

Like everyone else, I can personally see no problem with a socket in the ceiling, provided it is fixed properly.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back