Sockets in a ceiling

I have to agree with RF, sockets in commercial ceiling voids are very common indeed. There are also tens of thousands of multi gang sockets mounted on the underside of office desks.

However, over time, some of the big plugin power supplies do fall out of the cheaper multi gang sockets.

Sponsored Links
Look how loose American plugs are in American WALL mounted sockets.

Even UK shaver plugs are loose too.

if you can find it john let me know
I don't have easy access to BS1363, but I think that some of those here do - so hopefully someone will be able to tell us in due course.

Kind Regards, John.
Sounds like I'm needed here!
However I can't find anything in BS 1363 about a minumum pull-out force for a plug in a socket-outlet, although there is a maximum force of 36 N.
There is nothing in the standard about the orientation of mounting, perhaps not surprising given that socket-outlets can be used on extension leads which can be any way up.

I think the best advice that can be given to the OP is that what he wants to do should be alright, but use a decent brand of socket-outlet rather than a cheapo "own brand" or unbranded type.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like I'm needed here!
However I can't find anything in BS 1363 about a minumum pull-out force for a plug in a socket-outlet, although there is a maximum force of 36 N. There is nothing in the standard about the orientation of mounting, perhaps not surprising given that socket-outlets can be used on extension leads which can be any way up.
Thanks. I was hoping you might appear! The absence of a minimum pull-out force is rather surprising. I didn't really expect there to be anything about orientation, but thought it was worth being sure.

I think the best advice that can be given to the OP is that what he wants to do should be alright, but use a decent brand of socket-outlet rather than a cheapo "own brand" or unbranded type.
Indeed. I think that we are all agreed that that the proposal is basically OK, not seemingly contrary to BS7671 (unless MIs become an issue) and certainly that there are countless incidences of this being done. However, given the interest in such things we often see, I thought it was worth at least considering the posibility that Standards had something to say about it.

That leaves MIs. I looked at a few, and most are silent about orientation. MK say that their Logic Plus sockets can be 'wall or bench mounted'. I don't know whether some purists might say that this means that they should not be ceiling mounted?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back