Assuming the pipe coming up from the bathroom is vertical, just use the 2 bends you have. Turn the section coming up 90°, go across the horizontal plane and back up again, then extend to meet the stub going through the roof, joining it with a coupling if need be.

If pipe from below isn't vertical, the adjustable bends will get it there. Its a 'dry' section of pipework, so bends are not an issue.

I wondered if buying the regs from eBay would be cheaper than the ink, paper and aggro involved in printing the lot off at home! :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
The soil pipe (going all the way to the ground) is vertical.

I was struggling to adjust the bends to a suitable angle and didn't want to spend too much time up there faffing about with pipes, bends, coupling etc as its a nightmare for my asthma (even with a mask on). It's a really awkward space for doing work in and moving around.

Would an AAV not be an easier, quicker and suitable solution in this situation and a bit cheaper as well?

I'll print one off in work and sell you it for a fiver if you like

It seems you're determined to fit the AAV, despite advice it may cause issues. Feel free to do so, it may well be fine, as long as you are aware of the possible issues it could cause.

Having seem the job though, it's honestly about an hour or so's work for a Plumber, if you're struggling, get someone in to sort it. Ian's already offered in exchange for a colour copy of the regs!

Sponsored Links
Not at all, just want to go with the simplest solution where possible.

I've already completely sealed off the soil vent for the past 2 weeks until I figure out what to do. The only noticeable impact in the house is some drain gurgling.

So I'm thinking worst case if I did fit an AAV I might at worst get some drain gurgling (although possibly not). They are designed to release the smells.

Is that so bad, is it just the noise of the gurgling that doesn't sound great, but doesn't actually cause any damage or harm?

So I'm thinking worst case if I did fit an AAV I might at worst get some drain gurgling (although possibly not). They are designed to release the smells.

Is that so bad, is it just the noise of the gurgling that doesn't sound great, but doesn't actually cause any damage or harm?

No, this is my whole point! AAV's are Air Admittance Valves, and are designed to do exactly that, admit air into the system when there is negative pressure, often following a WC being flushed. What they will not do is allow positive pressure (or smells) out. Hence my concern, if there is no other vent on the property, then you could run the risk of positive pressure looking to escape via another point, often a shower or basin.

The gurgling may be nothing, or it could be positive pressure trying to escape. Your call, if you fit the AAV and then find you've odour issues, the only solution will be to ventilate the pipework.

Thanks Hugh that really helps me better understand how AAVs work.
Thanks for all your help

I'm trying to give the non-AAV option a good try before potentially resigning myself to the AAV.

To do this I was going to connect a 1m pipe to an adjustable bend pipe ( https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp560-0-90-adjustable-bend-grey/50087) to connect to the existing roof vent pipe. This part should work fine.

The final part is what I'm unsure about. I then need to connect the wider end of the 1m pipe to the also wide end of the top of the existing vertical soil vent pipe.

I was planning to connect the 2 wide ends using this flexipipe ( https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexipipe-pipe-110mm/76775 ).
The problem is this flexipipe is too narrow to slip over these wider pipe ends. See photo examples using a pipe connector of the same width.

Are there some kind of pipe connectors/reducers that I can use to securely fit this flexipipe to wider pipe ends?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190216_131945.jpg
    20190216_131945.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190216_132021.jpg
    20190216_132021.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 107
I was planning to connect the 2 wide ends using this flexipipe ( https://www.screwfix.com/p/flexipipe-pipe-110mm/76775 ).
The problem is this flexipipe is too narrow to slip over these wider pipe ends. See photo examples using a pipe connector of the same width.

Are there some kind of pipe connectors/reducers that I can use to securely fit this flexipipe to wider pipe ends?

Thanks
That flexipipe @ 110mm is the same o/d as soil pipe . In your pic. would the flexi go in if you pulled out the rubber ring in the socket ? If so you could remove the ring seal, cover the flexi outside with neutral curing silicone, and push it into the socket. Then leave it for the silicone to go off. Then the other end of the socket can be glued using solvent weld pipe glue - onto the soil pipe. If the pipe connectors are in situ with the wide ends, do the same with the rubber rings and so on.

I think I've come up with a solution if I cut 2 small (10cm in length each) narrow (110mm) sections from that 1m pipe.
If I file these at each of the cut ends it gives me some narrow connectors to join everything together:

- connect 90 degree bend pipe directly into existing roof vent pipe
- insert cut down 80cm pipe into this bend leaving the wide (uncut) end unconnected.
- Then insert 1 of the cut pipe connectors into that wide end of pipe with the flexi pipe attached to the other end of the connector
- the final cut pipe connector can then be connected into the other end of the flexipipe and the wide end of the soil vent pipe.

Using jubilee clips to secure both ends of the flexipipe and the rest should be push fit connection.

The pic shows me putting this into progress before going up into the loft.

Still need to file some of the cut ends.

Surely this will work fine?

Attachments

• 20190217_114334.jpg
    20190217_114334.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190217_114339.jpg
    20190217_114339.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 115
Looks like the flexi does go over the 110 pipe so you're(y) Remember it's only air going through the pipework so IF a suspended joint wanted to fall out you Could secure with a couple of self tappers.

That's me fitted it now (see photo).

Everything connected well except for the final cut pipe end (attached to the flexipipe) connected into the soil vent pipe.

This fits in and fills the soil vent pipe hole well enough but it's less secure than all the other connections. You could easily pull it out without much effort. It's just sitting in there. Although it should stay in place with gravity.

The pipe also runs more horizontal than I was expecting.

Is it safe to assume that both of these issues should not cause any problems further down the line given that there should only be limited moisture in there anyway?

I think I'll apply some tape Self-Amalgamating Rubber Tape to seal the cut pipe end and soil vent pipe to be on the safe side
https://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-black-25mm-x-3m/2115v?_requestid=60015
20190217_173456.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back