Some quick kitchen rewiring questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As mentioned on another topic, I'm having my kitchen redone and doing the prep work myself. I've had an initial chat to an electrician that will do the final wiring.

There are two existing sockets on the wall that going to have the main work surface, they are link on the ring. The plan is to break into the ring to feed the power points on the counter top. Up to the centre of the wall space above the counter, feed the sockets and back down to the other.

1) Are the cables allowed to run behind the wall if there is a hob there? brick wall with plaster, and thinking about the heat.

2) There will be a cooker switch along the same line, would the cable just go through the cooker switch box, or have to go around?

3) And more for curiousity, there will also be some fused switch spurs feeding off for washing machine, microwave, dishwasher. These fitted appliances also have a fused plug, is there any point in having two fuses in the circuit? and only fitting a switch above the counter?

Sponsored Links
1) Are the cables allowed to run behind the wall if there is a hob there? brick wall with plaster, and thinking about the heat.
Ask the electrician who will be doing the final wiring and issuing an EIC.

2) There will be a cooker switch along the same line, would the cable just go through the cooker switch box, or have to go around?

3) And more for curiousity, there will also be some fused switch spurs feeding off for washing machine, microwave, dishwasher. These fitted appliances also have a fused plug, is there any point in having two fuses in the circuit? and only fitting a switch above the counter?

Potential safe zone issues.

Use the wiring diagram the electrician should have given you.

Double Pole.

Sponsored Links
The questions you are raising in this and the other thread highlight your lack of even basic knowledge about domestic electrics.

The reason you are being referred back to the electrician who will sign off your work and where appropriate obtain the building warrant, is because he is the only one who can answer the questions not us.

No legitimate electrician would have anything to do with you if you ignore his advice on how and where to chase out for cable routes. He would have told you which routes were within the zones - he would come back and examine those routes before allowing you to fit cable that he would have chosen based on the circuits characteristics.

So speak to the electrician and get clear instructions from him where HE wants you to chase out the cable runs. The same applies to your other thread.

That little electrician sitting on the OP's right shoulder...Ooh, he's gone!

I do know the answer.

And so do you.

That you happen not to like it is not my fault.

Where did you see anything about like or dislike??

So, how would you do it? (without the spam, unless you also need to speak to an electrician).

I do know the answer.

And so do you.

That you happen not to like it is not my fault.

So, how would you do it? (without the spam, unless you also need to speak to an electrician).

I'm not sure how many times you need to be advised - If he exists SPEAK TO YOUR ELECTRICIAN!!!!

Well - you certainly didn't seem to value the answers I gave you. Spamming you called it. ( Did you note that I'm not the only one telling you the same thing, BTW?)

I would do it in the way prescribed by the person signing the declaration which says that he did the design etc, and that he certifies that it complies with the regulations.

Which is what you should also do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back