sorry plumbers, it has to be said....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"you wait in all day for a plumber then they never turn up"

I never really believed the above saying, but after arranging with "the guy up the road" ( technically it was mothers road ) to come and quote me some work, he said he'd be round thursday afternoon.
stayed in all day and it's now just gone 8pm so I recon he's not coming..

luckily I'm not working at the moment ( well ok, not so lucky for my bank balance ), so it's not like it cost me a days holiday or something..

Sponsored Links
I know, the're awful. Unlike my electrician who I've only been waitin for 7 weeks for him to come and finish off a small job involving my boiler, and 7 months to sort out the paperwork for the 17th edition CU he installed. He did come about 3 weeks ago for an observed EIC test (or whatever it's called) of his competence with an inspector though!

Sponsored Links
did he sound interested or just fob you off with he'll see you tomorrow knowing he won't be home.

quite a common one we use

Its all sorts of tradesmen that use this one not just plumbers! :rolleyes:

If they don't want the job why not be a man and say so instead of messing people around.

Very UNPROFESSIONAL COWBOYS! :rolleyes:

I have always turned up when I have said I will be there, if I can't I phone through to explain. Customers have said before how great I was turning up on time doing the job and leaving things tidy!

Unfortunately they don't think straight when they find someone a few quid cheaper to do the job....so long loyalty! :mad:

he's comming round to quote, so how can I have found someone cheaper when he hasn't even quoted me yet?

I wouldn't have had a problem if he'd bothered to phone and say he can't make it..

Here's a plan ColJack ... DO IT YOURSELF!

If more people voted with their feet, upskilled and did their own work, the cowboy firms would either shape up or continue preying on the vulnerable end of society (old crumblies) and those not prepared to get their hands dirty who can generally afford to get ripped off anyway.

I've met no more than a handful of tradesmen that I'd be prepared to let loose in my property the rest have either been totally f***ing incompetent (despite certificates which supposedly give us all comfort that they are not) or simply out to rip me off from the outset.

Why do tradesmen think so many people DIY nowadays?

MW

Sadly it DOES seem to be the norm for tradesmen to act like this. If it weren't we wouldn't be so urprised and grateful when the good'uns do turn up on time!

I've had it countless times, and it was often my friend who did it to me. Knowing full well i'd had the week off to do my extension, which he was helping me do as he's a builder.
Not only did he simply not bother turning up for one whole day, he never phoned me either.

I had to tread lightly with this as he was doing me a huge favour anyway, but still, i eventually emailed him asking him to phone me if he couldn't make it (amongst other gripes and concerns).

From what i understand a big reason for the no-shows is that they try and fit you in between jobs, or just 'get out for an hour' from a big job they're on. But things do't always go to plan. They could still ring to apologise, but a lot of em are knuckle-draggers anyways, so there ya go.

Those that DO turn up, or ring up to cancel etc, i'm obviously not referring to you guys, so please don't take offence.

I changed careers 8 yrs ago to plumbing, and couldn't understand why customers looked so surprised when I turned up on time.

It seems the norm for people to turn up late, if at all.

I consider that to be very rude, and would go ballistic if somebody turned up late for me.

Everyone has a phone with them nowadays, and when a job overruns or you are delayed, there is no excuse for not letting people know you're going to be late.

Sponsored Links
Back