Sour dough bread

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I did during lockdown like everyone else, but gave up because it's such a faff.

Yes, I make it every other day.

It can be a faff, but once you've found a method that suits, it's quite easy.

Sourdough is yeasted, but natural, just floating around in the air etc.

Just seen 2021, he's probably bought/made some now.o_O

I keep thinking about having a go, not tried yet.
Same here. A trainer in one of the centres I visit makes his own. He said he'll give me some starter when I’m ready - he reckons you have too much of it left over and has to sling it each time.

Reactions: DP
I keep thinking about having a go, not tried yet.
I regularly make sourdough bread
Once the procedure has been understood, eating sourdough from likes of Waitrose and M&S leaves you wanting.

If you are interested, can send you detail by PM on how to make artisan sourdough.

Sourdough bread is made using culture that is prepared over several days. Airborne natural yeasts etc make this culture active. Direct analogy is culture to make yogurt.

Commercial yeast can be used but proper sourdough is made with aforementioned culture. The bread is made with water, flour and salt- no other additive. Lower glycemic index and healthier for the gut
How does it differ?
Bread as we know it is made with commercial yeast that reacts with added sugar to create bubbles that impart the spongy texture to the loaf. The reaction is rapid hence bread can be made quite quickly.

Sourdough on the other hand is a slow process.

Let the culture that takes between 7- 10 days be known as starter. The starter stays with you like a resident in your house. You take an amount out of it and replace that amount back into the jar as 50% water and 50% flour so original amount stays the same. This addition keeps the living culture thriving with fed.
Amount taken out of the jar- this culture is one third amount with water and flour added making up the remainder. This mix takes around 6 hours to be fully active.
On average 70% water is added to it in preparation to making sourdough (percentages are in relation to flour weight)

Dough is made which is stretched ( over 5 to 6 hours) and folded. Different people say different things. You will find your happy medium regardless of what the pundits say.

Salt as of is 2%

I have been making bread for several years and am still learning.
5DD0A682-6184-4D57-9CA7-43C6331AF37B.jpeg
0A279124-747A-4C83-819A-F01DC3EDD9AB.jpeg

The procedure of making sourdough is simple yet flour source and type can have profound effect on texture, taste snd crumb

Last edited:
Same here. A trainer in one of the centres I visit makes his own. He said he'll give me some starter when I’m ready - he reckons you have too much of it left over and has to sling it each time.

I keep 100gms in fridge. No wastage and non to throw away. What comes out of that jar is added to it so final amount does not change.

I do not feed the culture every day. Since the culture is in the fridge, it is in hibernation. Take it out of there and leave it at ambient temperature, it will need fed every day so excess is discarded.

I do this method too, no need to waste starter.

DP your loaves look good.(y)

I’ve become lazy with my technique, after combining everything I just let it sit there for a few hours, then add the salt and a tad of water, I dough mix hook on the mixer for 5/10 mins, and slap it in a banneton and then slap in fridge.

Always cook in the morning, straight from fridge, in a casserole pot.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
@DP -- I'd be interested in knowing if you have more information on this.

We grow a good amount of veg each year and doing some bread at home would compliment it really well. I love the taste and texture of sourdough, too.

Sponsored Links
Back